Help with Mobius Inversion in Riemann's Zeta Function by Edwards (J to Prime Pi)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the use of Mobius inversion in "Riemann's Zeta Function" by Edwards. The person is looking for more detail and references to better understand the math involved. They have been studying up on Mobius inversion but are having difficulty finding examples of its use in inverting summations over the integers. They are also looking for resources to practice and improve their understanding of the techniques needed for inverting these types of sums. The conversation ends with the person expressing their struggle to understand the missing bits and asking for help in understanding the application of the Mobius inversion formula in this particular case.
SychoScribler
Help with Mobius Inversion in "Riemann's Zeta Function" by Edwards (J to Prime Pi)

Can someone please add more detail or give references to help explain the lines of math in "Riemann's Zeta Function" by Edwards.

At the bottom of page 34 where it says "Very simply this inversion is effected by performing ...", the two lines of math that follow could do with a few more lines perhaps to make it clear enough for me to understand. I am already lost on the first line. One line or two before this might be all the help that I need.

I have been studying up on Mobius inversion, but with all my uni books and online references, I am having great difficulty in finding examples of the use of the inversion in the case of inverting a summation over the integers. For example in "Elementary Number Theory" by Rosen, I see the definition of the Mobius Function, some proofs of properties of the Mobius Function, a proof of the Mobius Inversion Formula, and then some identities that follow by immediate application of the inversion formula; but I don't see an inversion of summations like the J to Prime Pi.

Perhaps someone knows some chapters of books or papers for me to read. What I would really like to do is find a bunch of examples and questions to answer where I have to invert some 'sums over the integers' of various functions to give experience on the techniques necessary to achieve such a thing. I would need solutions too but the forum could help with that I suppose.

I understand that the Mobius Inversion only inverts 'summatory functions' summing over the divisors of a number.

I have a particular 'summation over the integers' of a function to invert if possible but I would like to have a go at it myself first.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

That is where equation [itex](1)\hspace{1.5em}J(x)=\pi(x)+\frac{1}{2}\pi(x^{1/2})+\frac{1}{3}\pi(x^{1/3})+\cdots+\frac{1}{n}\pi(x^{1/n})+\cdots[/itex]
is inverted to equation [itex](2)\hspace{1.5em}\pi(x)=J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})-\frac{1}{3}J(x^{1/3})-\frac{1}{5}J(x^{1/5})+\frac{1}{6}J(x^{1/6})+\cdots+\frac{\mu(n)}{n}J(x^{1/n})+\cdots[/itex].

The explanation given at the bottom of the page is as follows.

"Very simply this inversion is effected by performing successively for each prime [itex]p=2,3,5,7,\ldots[/itex] the operation of replacing the functions [itex]f(x)[/itex] on each side of the equation with the function [itex]f(x)-(1/p)f(x^{1/p})[/itex]. This gives successively
[itex]\begin{eqnarray}J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})&=&\pi(x)+\frac{1}{3}\pi(x^{1/3})+\frac{1}{5}\pi(x^{1/5})+\cdots,\\J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})-\frac{1}{3}J(x^{1/3})+\frac{1}{6}J(x^{1/6})&=&\pi(x)+\frac{1}{5}\pi(x^{1/5})+\frac{1}{7}\pi(x^{1/7})+\cdots,\end{eqnarray}[/itex]​

etc, where at each step the sum on the left consists of those terms of the right side of [itex](2)[/itex] for which the factors of [itex]n[/itex] contain only the primes already covered and the sum on the right consists of those terms of the right side of [itex](1)[/itex] for which the factors of [itex]n[/itex] contain none of the primes already covered. Once [itex]p[/itex] is sufficiently large, the latter are all zero except for [itex]\pi(x)[/itex]."

Can anyone help me understand the "missing bits" please?

O.K., it looks like I'm on my own for now.

[itex]\begin{eqnarray}J(x)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})\end{eqnarray}[/itex]​

Let [itex]f_1(x)=J(x)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})[/itex].

[itex]
\begin{eqnarray}
f_1(x)-\frac{1}{2}f_1(x^{1/2})&=&f_1(x)-\frac{1}{2}f_1(x^{1/2})\\

J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})&=&\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi((x^{1/2})^{1/n})\\

J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})&=&\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi(x^{1/2n})
\end{eqnarray}
[/itex]​

The multiples of 2 are all gone from the sum on the right hand side.

Let [itex]f_2(x)=J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi(x^{1/2n})[/itex].

[itex]
\begin{eqnarray}
f_2(x)-\frac{1}{3}f_2(x^{1/3})&=&f_2(x)-\frac{1}{3}f_2(x^{1/3})\\

\left[J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})\right]-\frac{1}{3}\left[J(x^{1/3})-\frac{1}{2}J((x^{1/3})^{1/2})\right]&=&\left[\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi(x^{1/2n})\right]-\frac{1}{3}\left[\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi((x^{1/3})^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi((x^{1/3})^{1/2n})\right]\\

J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})-\frac{1}{3}J(x^{1/3})+\frac{1}{6}J(x^{1/6})&=&\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi(x^{1/2n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{3n}}\pi(x^{1/3n})+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{6n}}\pi(x^{1/6n})
\end{eqnarray}
[/itex]​

The multiples of 3 are all gone from the sum on the right hand side and we have added the multiples of 6.

Let [itex]f_3(x)=J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})-\frac{1}{3}J(x^{1/3})+\frac{1}{6}J(x^{1/6})=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi(x^{1/2n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{3n}}\pi(x^{1/3n})+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{6n}}\pi(x^{1/6n})[/itex].

[itex]
\begin{eqnarray}
f_3(x)-\frac{1}{5}f_3(x^{1/5})&=&f_3(x)-\frac{1}{5}f_3(x^{1/5})\\

\vdots\hspace{4em}&=&\hspace{4em}\vdots\\

J(x)-\frac{1}{2}J(x^{1/2})-\frac{1}{3}J(x^{1/3})+\frac{1}{6}J(x^{1/6})-\frac{1}{5}J(x^{1/5})+\frac{1}{10}J(x^{1/10})+\frac{1}{15}J(x^{1/15})-\frac{1}{30}J(x^{1/30})&=&\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n}}\pi(x^{1/n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{2n}}\pi(x^{1/2n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{3n}}\pi(x^{1/3n})+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{6n}}\pi(x^{1/6n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{5n}}\pi(x^{1/5n})+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{10n}}\pi(x^{1/10n})+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{15n}}\pi(x^{1/15n})-\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{30n}}\pi(x^{1/30n})
\end{eqnarray}
[/itex]​

The multiples of 5 are all gone from the sum on the right hand side. We have taken the multiples of 30 off as well, and added multiples of 10 and 15. I expected that we would eventually subtract all the multiples of the primes (including the primes themselves) from the sum.

I can see the [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{\mu(n)}{n}J(x^{1/n})[/itex] appearing on the left side, but it is not not clear that the right side will become [itex]\pi(n)[/itex]. Also, the book states that "Riemann inverts this relationship by means of the Mobius inversion formula", but I am not seeing where the formula has been applied.

The key must be recognizing that "at each step the sum on the left consists of those terms of the right side of [itex](2)[/itex] for which the factors of [itex]n[/itex] contain only the primes already covered and the sum on the right consists of those terms of the right side of [itex](1)[/itex] for which the factors of [itex]n[/itex] contain none of the primes already covered" as stated in the book, but I am not seeing it yet.

Is there anybody out there?

Last edited:

1. What is Mobius Inversion in Riemann's Zeta Function?

Mobius inversion is a mathematical technique used to relate the values of a function to the values of its inverse function. In the context of Riemann's zeta function, it allows us to calculate the value of the zeta function at certain points by using the values of its inverse function, the prime counting function.

2. What is the significance of Riemann's Zeta Function?

Riemann's zeta function is an important mathematical function in number theory that is defined as the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to a given power. It has applications in various areas of mathematics, including prime number theory and the distribution of prime numbers.

3. Who is Edwards and what is their contribution to Mobius Inversion in Riemann's Zeta Function?

Edwards refers to the mathematician Harold M. Edwards, who wrote the book "Riemann's Zeta Function" which discusses the topic in detail. Edwards made significant contributions to the understanding of Mobius inversion in Riemann's zeta function and his book is considered a classic in the field.

4. What is the connection between Mobius Inversion and the Prime Pi Function?

The Prime Pi function is defined as the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given number. Mobius inversion allows us to calculate the values of the Prime Pi function by using the values of the zeta function. This connection is important in understanding the distribution of prime numbers.

5. Are there any practical applications of Mobius Inversion in Riemann's Zeta Function?

While Mobius inversion in Riemann's zeta function may seem abstract, it has practical applications in number theory and cryptography. It has also been used to prove important mathematical theorems, such as the Prime Number Theorem.