Where can I purchase gears for my project?

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, the person is looking for a ring gear to link a motor to a differential, but they are new to machining and don't know if gears would be a better option. They are also considering timing belts.
Curl
I need a ring gear but I can't mill it and I don't know any good way to make gears in the shop, so I'm looking to buy them some place, but I don't know where.

I drew up what I need, basically a ring with teeth on it, and a matching pinion.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 568
Engineering news on Phys.org
WM Berg: www.wmberg.com
Stock Drive Products: www.sdp-si.com

You might need a custom modification which is available from Berg or SDP (I believe)

I just need the outside/teeth. As long as they are steel/aluminium I can mill off the extra garbage.

Also, has anyone tried to make gears on a waterjet? How well does it work?

Curl said:
I just need the outside/teeth. As long as they are steel/aluminium I can mill off the extra garbage.

Also, has anyone tried to make gears on a waterjet? How well does it work?

Waterjet or EDM cut gears would work for awhile. Not anywhere near an optimal solution. Much higher runout, roughness & friction. Lower tolerance, shorter lifetime. Might be ok for slow speeds and loads.

What are the loads, speed, lifetime, etc? BTW don't mix aluminum and stainless gears, they will gall.

Considered timing belts? They are much more forgiving to misalignment.

Im new to machining and I'm trying to start up a project and get some practice. I want to make an RC car, I got a nice radio, a 250watt 50g brushless DC motor, low resistance batteries, all the good stuff.

The motor turns at about 1000RPM/volt, and the batteries run at 11-12 volts, so about 10k RPM under load. I need a gear to link straight up from the motor shaft to the differential. The gear I need most is the outer cylindrical shell for the differential, and the gear pinion that goes on the shaft of the motor. The motor has some kick, but I figure aluminium is fine as long as I keep the gear teeth fairly small.

I guess I can polish the teeth by hand after the waterjet to take out the roughness and reduce the friction, then add some lubricant paste. Like I said, I'm very new to this so I need some advice from you guys. I thought of a belt, but how can I make that work in my situation? Is that better than gears for my RPM?

I think you would be better off on a Radio Control forum. Good luck!

Curl, How did that go cutting gears with a waterjet cutter? EDM? I'm looking to do the same thing myself.

I just bought Delrin gears from SmallParts.com
I haven't tried making gears on the waterjet though, but I'm guessing that will work. Our waterjet is broken ATM.

1. What are gears used for?

Gears are mechanical components that transmit power and motion between two rotating shafts. They are commonly used in machines and mechanisms to control speed, torque, and direction.

2. Where can I purchase gears?

Gears can be purchased at hardware stores, online retailers, and specialty shops that specialize in mechanical components. You can also find gears at industrial supply stores and through manufacturers.

3. How do I know what size gear I need?

The size of gear you need depends on the application and the specific requirements of your project. It is important to consider the torque, speed, and load capacity when selecting the size of a gear. Consulting with a mechanical engineer or using gear calculators can also help determine the appropriate size.

4. Are there different types of gears?

Yes, there are several types of gears, including spur gears, helical gears, bevel gears, worm gears, and more. Each type has unique characteristics and is suited for different applications. It is important to understand the differences between each type to select the best one for your project.

5. Can gears be customized?

Yes, gears can be customized to fit specific requirements and specifications. This can include changes in size, material, and design. Many manufacturers offer custom gear services to meet the unique needs of their customers.