Making a "Planetary Gear Set" using a 3D printer and PLA material

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a set of planetary gears with a 1:1 gear ratio, where the ring gear and the sun gear rotate at the same speed but in opposite directions. The gear set consists of a ring gear, a sun gear, and 2 planet gears, and the rotation speed of the sun and the ring gear needs to be the same. The AI suggests that for a functional gear with a 1:1 gear ratio, the sum of the number of teeth on the ring gear and planet gears must be equal to the sum of the number of teeth on the sun gear and planet gears. However, the person asking the question is unsure and seeks clarification on whether it is possible to have the ring and
Joorge
TL;DR Summary
Obtaining the same speed in the sun and ring gears, while moving in opposite directions in a planetary gear set.
I want to create a set of planetary gears using a 3D printer and PLA material. I'm designing them with the help of Autodesk Inventor 2020 since my knowledge in this area is quite limited. The gear set consists of a ring gear, a sun gear, and 2 planet gears. The sun and the ring gear rotate in opposite directions, while the planet gears remain stationary. I need the rotation speed of the sun and the ring gear to be the same. I mean, one turn of the ring coincides with one turn of the sun, if that's possible, which honestly I have no idea.

I asked ChatGPT, and it tells me the following:

"The basic condition for a functional planetary gear with a 1:1 gear ratio is that the sum of the number of teeth on the ring gear plus twice the number of teeth on the planet gears is equal to the sum of the number of teeth on the sun gear plus twice the number of teeth on the planet gears. Mathematically, this is expressed as:

C + 2P = S + 2P

Where:
C = Number of teeth on the ring gear
S = Number of teeth on the sun gear
P = Number of teeth on each planet gear

This means that the total number of teeth on the ring gear and planet gears must be equal to the total number of teeth on the sun gear and planet gears. By satisfying this equality, the gear ratio will be 1:1, allowing the ring gear and the sun gear to rotate at the same speed and in opposite directions."

Is this true? I'm not sure I can fully trust the AI on this matter, because it gave me a lot of wrong answers before I got to this text, which does seem coherent to me.

Thank you and regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, I'm asking again and it's telling me the last answer I've posted is wrong. I'd appreciate if you can tell me the "truth", LOL. It may not be possible for one turn of the ring to coincide with one turn of the sun, but I guess is right, as long as the ring and the sun have the same amount of teeth. Please let me know.

Last edited:
To keep the planets stationary the tangential speeds of sun and ring need to be equal but opposite. If you want their angular speeds to be equal and opposite too, their radii would have to be equal, so the planets would need to be of size zero.

Thanks for your answer. Honestly, I don't know that much about tangential and angular speeds. What I need is the ring to turn once at the same time as the sun does, but in opposite directions, hence the planetary set. I understand this is possible as long as the ring and the sun have the same number of teeth, and the problem will be the diameter of the ring to be big enough to hold the sun and planets. It won't be possible for certain sizes. Do you think I'm right?

Last edited:
Joorge said:
It won't be possible for certain sizes. Do you think I'm right?
See my post above. It won't be possible for any feasible gear size.

1. How do you design a planetary gear set using a 3D printer?

To design a planetary gear set using a 3D printer, you will need to use CAD software to create the gear components. This will involve creating the gear teeth, shafts, and other necessary parts. You can then export the design as an STL file to be used for 3D printing.

2. What is the best material to use for a planetary gear set made with a 3D printer?

PLA (polylactic acid) is a popular material for 3D printing planetary gear sets. It is a biodegradable and eco-friendly material that is also strong and durable enough to withstand the forces and friction of the gears.

3. How do you assemble a planetary gear set made with a 3D printer?

To assemble a planetary gear set, you will need to follow the design and instructions carefully. The gears should be placed in the correct orientation and meshed together smoothly. The shafts should also be inserted and secured properly. It is important to double-check the assembly before using the gear set.

4. Can a 3D printed planetary gear set be used for practical applications?

Yes, a 3D printed planetary gear set can be used for practical applications. However, it is important to ensure that the gear set is designed and printed accurately to withstand the intended use and forces. It is also recommended to test the gear set before using it for important or heavy-duty applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using PLA material for a 3D printed planetary gear set?

PLA material has a lower melting point compared to other materials, so it may not be suitable for high-temperature applications. It is also not as strong as some other materials, so it may not be suitable for heavy-duty or high-stress applications. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your gear set and choose the appropriate material accordingly.