What happens when I send Thanks

• Thread starter M_1
  • Start date
In summary: Sending PM's after every post you think worthy of thanks would be annoying and, as Borek suggests, pointless.In summary, the conversation discusses the options for sending a "Thanks" message to a user on a forum. It is recommended to use the "Thanks" button and make a post in the thread for public thanks, rather than sending a private message. It is also mentioned that occasional private messages can be a nice gesture, but should not be used frequently. It is also mentioned that a "thank you" visitor message can also be used.
M_1
What happens when I send "Thanks"

How can I see (and confirm) that the "Thanks" message I posted reaches the recipient?

I don't see my "Thanks"-message in the thread I started. I got some v e r y important help from a user and would like to make sure that she/he gets her/his due credit.

Is it practise to b o t h send a "Thanks" message and also post a thanks-message as a normal message in the thread?

Thanks for all very useful Forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to that post and try hitting "thanks" again. It will tell you if you already sent thanks. You can do both public and private thanks.

Likes 1 person
If the user has an option installed to receive a private message from you, you may use the private messaging system as well, if you feel that your thanks should be directed privately to him, rather than in public, and that you want to say more to him or her than the lines allotted to you in the formal "Thanks"-system can do.

I don't think I need to send a private message. However, my "Thanks"-message is not displayed in the thread. Therefore I suspect that when I push "Thanks" and add a message only the person I'm thanking receives the thanks-message. Is that correct. If so I think I should thank the person as a normal post in the thread instead, in order for the person to get the due p u b l i c credit.

So my question is: How should I do to give the person a public credit? Must I post a normal post in the thread?

Sorry for discussing such a detail but I think it's quite important!

Yes, if you wish to give a public thanks, just make a post in the thread.
Many users do that at PF, and it is perfectly OK to do so!

M_1 said:
How can I see (and confirm) that the "Thanks" message I posted reaches the recipient?

I don't see my "Thanks"-message in the thread I started. I got some v e r y important help from a user and would like to make sure that she/he gets her/his due credit.

Is it practise to b o t h send a "Thanks" message and also post a thanks-message as a normal message in the thread?

Thanks for all very useful Forums.

May I comment on these please and as I am but a lowly worker-bee, my opinion does not represent the forum as a whole:

(1) You hit the "thanks" button and that's not good enough? Did my visa payment I mailed last week get to visa or should I call up and make sure?

(2) Creating a whole brand-new post just to say thanks is contributing to thread clutter and I was under the impression one reason for implementing the thank button was to cut down on this clutter. If you have something additional and meaningful to say other than just thanks, then just tack-on the "public" thanks with that meaningful post.

(3) Am I mis-guided in thinking that most people, although won't mind, would rather not receive a PM thanks? It becomes personal at that point and I believe many people are here for non-personal engagements. Forgive me though if I error in this point.

You can also post a "thank you" visitor message - these are visible to the public visiting user profile.

Nothing wrong with saying "thank you" in the thread.

And occasional "thank you" PM nicely boosts my ego, so as long as I am not molested with these, they are OK.

I agree with jackmell and Borek that the PM-option should not be used frequently, but only very occasionally.

What happens when I send Thanks?

1. Does saying "thanks" have any physical effects on the body or brain?

No, saying "thanks" does not have any immediate physical effects on the body or brain. However, expressing gratitude can have long-term positive effects on mental and emotional well-being.

2. Can saying "thanks" improve my relationships?

Yes, expressing gratitude can improve relationships by fostering feelings of appreciation and strengthening emotional bonds between individuals.

3. Does saying "thanks" have any impact on the recipient?

Yes, saying "thanks" can positively impact the recipient by making them feel appreciated, valued, and acknowledged.

4. Is there a difference between saying "thanks" in person or through a text or email?

While the sentiment of gratitude is the same, saying "thanks" in person may have a stronger impact as it allows for nonverbal communication and a personal connection.

5. Can expressing gratitude have any benefits for myself?

Yes, expressing gratitude has been linked to increased happiness, improved self-esteem, and reduced stress levels for the person expressing it.