Load distribution on frying pan

In summary: The maximum load the pan can take before failing is dependent on the material and design. Young's modulus is a measure of the material's resilience to tensile stress. Tensile/compressive strength at failure is a measure of how much stress the material can withstand before breaking. Density is a measure of how much mass an object has per unit volume.
A_Little_Lost
Hey,

i am an undergrad student studyn eng. i was given a materials assignment in which we have to pick an object made out of two or more dominant materials. i chose to do a frying pan that has a pan made out of aluminium and the handle made from bakelite (phenol formaldehyde). one of the things we have to find is the maximum load the pan can take before failing. i have information such as young's mudulus, tensile/compressive strength at failure, density. i figured that the pan acts as a cantilever, with the handle acting as the 'beam', the pan and applied loads acting as the 'point load at the tip of the beam' and our arm acting as the 'fixed end support' (meaning when we lift it). i have no idea how to find the maximum load, since i can't really find a change in length after loading nor can i find the yield strength of bakelite ANYWHERE! is there any other way i can find it? please help!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are just in materials, what you're trying to do seems a little beyond what you should know at this point. There are going to be several possible failure mechanisms for the description you have. First, there is shear through the bottom of the pan (certainly not going to happen). The handle could also fail by shear (also not going to happen). The most probably failure point is where the handle meets the pan. You will have a combined loading at that point (both shear and normal stress from the moment). Then, it depends on how the handle is attached (screws, welded, etc).

Here are some phenolic rubber properties from Matweb.

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=O2745

One can also search on trade name - http://www.matweb.com/search/SearchTradeName.asp

or just go and browse - http://www.matweb.com

However, it's perhaps best to find a textbook in materials in order to get some properties and additional information.

Bakelite is a trade name from the old Bakelite Corporation, which is now part of Hexion Specialty Chemicals.

Find info here - http://www.bakelite.de/eng/prod/frame_ph.htm

1. What is load distribution on a frying pan?

Load distribution on a frying pan refers to the way weight or force is distributed across the surface of the pan when cooking. This is important because it affects how evenly food is cooked and prevents any one spot from becoming too hot and burning the food.

2. Why is load distribution important in a frying pan?

Load distribution is important in a frying pan because it ensures that food is cooked evenly and prevents hot spots that can burn food. It also helps to prevent warping or damage to the pan by evenly distributing the weight of the food on the surface.

3. How does load distribution affect cooking times?

The load distribution on a frying pan can affect cooking times by ensuring that the heat is evenly distributed across the surface of the pan. This means that food will cook at a consistent rate and prevents some areas from being overcooked while others are undercooked.

4. What factors affect load distribution on a frying pan?

The shape and material of the frying pan can affect load distribution, as well as the type of heat source being used. The thickness and evenness of the pan's base can also play a role in load distribution.

5. How can I improve load distribution on my frying pan?

To improve load distribution on a frying pan, make sure to use a flat and sturdy cooking surface, such as a gas burner or electric stove. Avoid using warped or damaged pans, and consider investing in a high-quality pan with a thick and even base for more even heat distribution.