Question about the safety factor for a shaft diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a turbine and the need to find a shaft diameter with a safety factor of 3. The relevant information about the metal being used, aluminium 6061, is provided, including its tensile strength of 115 MPa, yield strength of 48 MPa, shear strength of 83 MPa, and fatigue strength of 62 MPa. There is confusion about which strength value to use in the calculation, with the participants ultimately agreeing that the yield strength is the most appropriate choice.
Arnsol
Homework Statement
w
Relevant Equations
See attepmt
Hello,

So we are designing a turbine. We have a shaft that receives 710W / 13.6NM / 500RPM from the runner and we are going to find a diameter with safety factor of 3.
Take the following information regarding metal:
Aluminium 6061
Tensile strength115 MPa
Yield strength48 MPa
Shear strength83 MPa
Fatigue strength62 MPa
i know F.O.S = Max load / Load applied.

Still i can't wrap my mind around which of those i should use. First thought is going with the 48 MPA yield since aluminium is ductile?

1585139154452-png.png

Any thoughts? I am so confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would agree with you on that. Once you surpass the yield strength you enter the "plastic region" of the stress-strain curve. This means that once the load is released the metal will not return to its original dimensions, and therefore no longer function as designed.

I think what the chart is referring to as "tensile strength" is also called "ultimate strength". This value is way into the plastic region and you would not want the shaft to reach this value.

Likes Lnewqban
Thank you.Yes, its the ultimate strength... But it makes sense to me to chose the yield value.
Regards

1. What is the safety factor for a shaft diameter?

The safety factor for a shaft diameter is a measure of how much stronger the shaft is than the maximum load it is expected to bear. It is typically calculated by dividing the ultimate strength of the shaft by the maximum load it will experience.

2. Why is the safety factor important for a shaft diameter?

The safety factor is important because it ensures that the shaft will not fail under normal operating conditions. It allows for a margin of safety in case of unexpected loads or other factors that could potentially weaken the shaft.

3. How is the safety factor determined for a shaft diameter?

The safety factor for a shaft diameter is determined by considering the expected load, the material properties of the shaft, and any potential sources of stress or weakness. It is typically calculated using engineering principles and standards.

4. What is a typical safety factor for a shaft diameter?

The recommended safety factor for a shaft diameter can vary depending on the specific application and industry. However, a commonly used safety factor for shafts is 2-3, meaning the shaft is 2-3 times stronger than the maximum expected load.

5. How does the safety factor for a shaft diameter affect the overall design?

The safety factor for a shaft diameter is an important factor in the overall design of a system or machine. It helps determine the appropriate size and material for the shaft, as well as any necessary reinforcements or modifications to ensure its strength and durability.