Kid kills himself trying to recreate a scene in WoW

• Thread starter Entropy
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think that would be a good scene to re-enact. In summary, the parents filed a suit against Blizzard Entertainment because their son JUMPED to his death while reenacting a scene from the game World of Warcraft. The parents are backed by the anti-Internet addiction advocate Zhang Chunliang and the lawsuit is apparently BS. I don't think the kid was that stupid and if the parents are to be held responsible, they should be sued for having a kid when they had no intentions on being good parents. Only the laziest kind of parenting allows this crap to happen. I re-enact a WoW scene of someone beating up another all the time, but I'm having trouble taking something seriously from a website
Entropy
Darwin Award?

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=14551&hed=Youth%E2%80%99s+Death+Linked+to+Game&sector=Regions&subsector=Asia"

The parents filed a suit against Blizzard Entertainment on Wednesday, saying their son jumped to his death while reenacting a scene from the game, the report said. The parents are backed by the anti-Internet addiction advocate Zhang Chunliang.

I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for the guy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And I thought things like this only happened in the US.

I can only laugh. Sorry if I seem like a horrible person, but I hardly see how this can be counted as a tragedy. Darwinism in action more like. But not worthy of a Darwin award I think, its just not quite absurd enough. Not like the guy who lost an egg up his keyster while pleasuring himself while his wife was away only to try to fish it out with a wire coat hanger. Please no one try this. Really. Don't. Tribdog that means you. Bad. No.

What I want to know is: What scene?

Does anyone realize that World of Warcraft has taken a number of lives since it came out? I can off the top of my head remember 2 people that died because they just wouldn't stop playing no matter what.

The lawsuit is BS though, if the kid was that stupid, the parents should be sued for having a kid when they had no intentions on being good parents. Only the laziest kind of parenting allows this crap to happen.

I'm having trouble taking something seriously from a website called red herring.:biggrin:

Speaking of WoW, I just renewed my membership today. Just hope I have the will power to manage my school work too. :grumpy:

lol stupid WoW.

What exactly was he trying to re-enact and what about jumping off a building sounded safe to him?

Pengwuino said:
Does anyone realize that World of Warcraft has taken a number of lives since it came out? I can off the top of my head remember 2 people that died because they just wouldn't stop playing no matter what.

Do you know the number of lives being born has taken since it came out? I can off the top of my head think of millions of people that have died because they were born.

People die from being alive. So what if they couldn't control their urge to play a video game? 2 people out of 4.5 million? If 4.5 million people decided to all go skydiving tomorrow, its pretty likely there'd be a hell of a lot more than 2 deaths.

Pengwuino said:
What exactly was he trying to re-enact and what about jumping off a building sounded safe to him?

Probably reenacting a scene where his character died from jumping off a building. it happens you know.

Can I beat up this franznietzsche guy yet

Maybe you can re-enact a WoW scene of someone beating up another?

Hurkyl said:
Maybe you can re-enact a WoW scene of someone beating up another?
I don't think they have penguins in that game

Hurkyl said:
I'm having trouble taking something seriously from a website called red herring.:biggrin:

Amway used to promote their marketing concept with a book written by Paul Conn.

WoW has over 4.5 million players. Mayb they should have someone in the UN.

ranger said:
WoW has over 4.5 million players. Mayb they should have someone in the UN.

"The council will now recognize Zordoc, representative of the nation of Warcraft."

"Council, I am requesting a UN Aid shipment of 10,000,000 mana and quicker ping times"

Pengwuino said:
"The council will now recognize Zordoc, representative of the nation of Warcraft."
"Council, I am requesting a UN Aid shipment of 10,000,000 mana and quicker ping times"

:rofl: :rofl:

You could modify that and say "nation of Azeroth"

Ranger, I nominate you for scariest avatar.

What the heck is that and what can I do to get you to change it? :bugeye:

I play WoW at my older daughter's, I'm a Tauren Druid.

Last edited:
what's wrong evo? ALL ALONE?!

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~rah/images/scary.jpg

I just had to post that somewhere

Reminds me of the flap about how comics/movies/tv is corrupting our youth.

Remember the old one about the kid who made a cape out of a towel and jumped off the roof, trying to be superman?

kleinjahr said:
Reminds me of the flap about how comics/movies/tv is corrupting our youth.
Remember the old one about the kid who made a cape out of a towel and jumped off the roof, trying to be superman?

Funny, I don't recall Marvel(or was it DC? Bah, never was much of a comic book fan) ever getting sued...

I'm trying to think of what 'scene' involves jumping off of a building in WoW.

I can only think of a single place in the game where you need to jump down far enough to 'kill' you (falling hurts in the game too, although you heal pretty quickly if it isn't a fatal fall). The jump I'm thinking of is into a giant pool of water though. Only way you can die there is if you get disconnected and drown at the bottom.

Pengwuino said:

lol. Kinda funny how WoW probably has a higher GNP than some countries...

I was playing WoW for several months last year and I don't remember any scene where someone jumps to their death, maybe it was an alliance quest. :rolleyes:

franznietzsche said:
Funny, I don't recall Marvel(or was it DC? Bah, never was much of a comic book fan) ever getting sued...
Comic books in general were the object of a witchhunt that went all the way to congress at one point in time. They were trying to blame all the terrible things that kids do on comic books. They have made similar efforts in regards to video games and most especially role playing games (for you youngins I should probably clarify that I mean table top RPGs and for you older not so geeky folk I should clarify that I am not referring to sexual escipades:wink:).

Evo said:
Ranger, I nominate you for scariest avatar.
What the heck is that and what can I do to get you to change it? :bugeye:
Its not really that scary, just compare that to yomamma's previous avatar :biggrin: Well my avatar is just a close up shot of my favorite guitarist.

Change it, I probably would. You choose:tongue2:

http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/Slipknot05.gif

http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/Slipknot04.gif

http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/Slipknot01.gif

franznietzsche said:
Probably reenacting a scene where his character died from jumping off a building. it happens you know.
I've fallen to my death in Gnomeregan lots of times. What puzzles me is why you would want to reenact your character dying. :rofl:

I've fallen to my death in Gnomeregan lots of times. What puzzles me is why you would want to reenact your character dying.

I fell into lava doing my first instance... Also a lot of people fall to their death's running that big chain to go to BRD and MC.

At least its another method of weeding out all the stupid people from society so that they don't make important decisions that may effect us.

There's this shaman quest where you have to jump off a high rock (not a building though) in the thousand needles. And if you do it correctly, you are teleported back to the quest giver during your descent. First time I tried it, I fell for a long long time and then I lost all my hp. Boy was that graveyard far!

ranger said:
Its not really that scary, just compare that to yomamma's previous avatar :biggrin: Well my avatar is just a close up shot of my favorite guitarist.
Change it, I probably would. You choose:tongue2:
http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/Slipknot05.gif
http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/Slipknot04.gif
http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/Slipknot01.gif
[/URL] :cry: How about a cute little bunny?

YOU'RE SCARING ME! :cry: :cry: :cry:

i wonder how many kids died while playing cowboys and indians in the 1800's

There kids parents should assterd for not explaning to there kid that it's dangeous to recreate things form video games,TV's or movies and letting there kid play it.

edit: someone already mentioned it.

What happened in the incident where a kid killed himself trying to recreate a scene in WoW?

A 13-year-old boy attempted to recreate a scene from the popular online game World of Warcraft (WoW) in which a character jumps off a cliff and dies. He jumped off a 6-story building and died from the fall.

What factors may have contributed to the kid's decision to attempt this dangerous act?

The boy may have been influenced by the virtual world of WoW, where death is temporary and characters can respawn. He may have also been seeking attention or trying to impress his peers.

What impact does media and video games have on individuals, especially young children?

Research has shown that exposure to violent media and video games can desensitize individuals to violence and increase aggressive behavior. It is important for parents to monitor and limit their children's media consumption.

How can parents and caregivers prevent similar incidents from happening?

Parents and caregivers should educate themselves on the content of media and video games their children are exposed to and set limits on their screen time. They should also have open communication with their children about the difference between fantasy and reality and the consequences of imitating dangerous acts seen in media.

What steps can be taken to promote mental health and prevent self-harm in young individuals?

It is important for parents and caregivers to pay attention to their child's mental health and seek help if necessary. Creating a supportive and open environment for children to express their emotions can also help prevent self-harm. Additionally, promoting healthy coping mechanisms and teaching children about the dangers of imitating dangerous acts can also be beneficial.

Back