Defining Metrics on Submanifolds: Is G = goi* a Valid Approach?

• Thread starter math6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, a metric on a submanifold of a manifold (M, g) is given by G = goi*, where i* is the linear tangent of an immersion of the submanifold S into M. In coordinates, this metric is defined as G(\xi,\eta)=g(i^*\xi,i^*\eta), where (q^i) are parameters on the submanifold and (x^\mu) are local coordinates on the manifold.
math6
can we define a metric on a submanifold of as follows:
M is a manifold equipped with a Riemannian metric g, we denote (M, g), and S is a submanifold of M.
an application i of S to M is an immersion, i * is the linear tangent; then a metric on S G is given by G = goi*.

Physics news on Phys.org
Provided that you understand that i* acts as

[tex]G(\xi,\eta)=g(i^*\xi,i^*\eta)[/tex]

If [tex](q^i)=(q1,\ldots ,q_p)[/tex] are parameters on the submanifold, and [tex]x^\mu=(x_1,\ldosts ,x_n)[/tex] are (local) coordinates on the manifold, then, in coordinates, this becomes

[tex]g_{ij}=\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial q^i}\frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial q^j}\,g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Last edited:
thnx but i just doubt about something and i just want to be confirmed .

1. What is a "metric over submanifold"?

A "metric over submanifold" refers to a way of defining a metric on a subset of a larger space, known as a submanifold. This metric is a mathematical tool used to measure distances between points on the submanifold and can be used to study the geometry and curvature of the submanifold itself.

2. How is a metric over submanifold different from a regular metric?

A metric over submanifold is different from a regular metric in that it is only defined on a specific subset of a larger space, whereas a regular metric can be defined on the entire space. Additionally, a metric over submanifold may have different properties and behaviors compared to a regular metric due to the specific characteristics of the submanifold it is defined on.

3. What are some applications of using a metric over submanifold?

A metric over submanifold has many applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to study the geometry and topology of surfaces, to define distances and angles on curved spaces, and to analyze the behavior of dynamical systems. It is also commonly used in the field of differential geometry to study the properties of manifolds.

4. How is a metric over submanifold constructed?

A metric over submanifold is constructed by defining a metric on the larger space, and then restricting it to the submanifold. This restriction involves finding a way to measure distances between points on the submanifold using the metric defined on the larger space. This can be done through various mathematical techniques, such as pullbacks and pushforwards.

5. Are there any limitations to using a metric over submanifold?

There are some limitations to using a metric over submanifold. One limitation is that the submanifold must be embedded in the larger space, meaning that it is a subset of the larger space and retains the same dimensionality. Additionally, the properties and behaviors of the metric may change when restricted to the submanifold, which may affect the accuracy of certain calculations and analyses.