• Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
Korybut
TL;DR Summary
Free Lie group action
Hello there!

Book provides the following definition
Let ##(P,G,\Psi)## be a free Lie group action, let ##M## be a manifold and let ##\pi : P \rightarrow M## be a smooth mapping. The tuple ##(P,G,M,\Psi,\pi)## is called a principal bundle, if for every ##m\in M## there exists a local trivialization at ##m##, that is, there exist an open neighbourhood ##W## of ##m## and a diffeomorphism ##\chi:\pi^{-1}(W)\rightarrow W \times G## such that
1. ##\chi## intertwines ##\Psi## with the G-action on ##W\times G## by translations on the factor ##G##,
2. ##pr_W \circ \chi(p)=\pi(p)## for all ##p\in \pi^{-1}(W)##.

To clarify the notation used ##\Psi## is the map ##\Psi: P\times G\rightarrow P##

My question is about the first property of ##\chi##. I can act with my group using ##\Psi## on ##\pi^{-1}(W)##. Moreover in general I can obtain
## \Psi_g (\pi^{-1}(W))\cap \pi^{-1}(W)=0## (##g\in G##) so ##\chi## has nothing to do with ## \Psi_g (\pi^{-1}(W))##. Here I got puzzled: ##\chi## is supposed to commute with group action however it might not even exist on the corresponding domain. Or this ##\chi## is supposed to be defined on all ##\Psi_g(\pi^{-1}(W))## for all ##g\in G## ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\chi## is a local trivialization, but the action ##\Psi## preserves the fibers.

Which book is this?

Likes Korybut
gravitation said:
##\chi## is a local trivialization, but the action ##\Psi## preserves the fibers.

Which book is this?
Sorry, but I don't get you clarification. How LOCAL trivialization is aware of of the whole manifold ##P## since group might send this neighbourhood ##W## in general to any other domain of ##P##? Book is "Differential Geometry" by Rudolph and Schmidt

Korybut said:
Sorry, but I don't get you clarification. How LOCAL trivialization is aware of of the whole manifold ##P## since group might send this neighbourhood ##W## in general to any other domain of ##P##? Book is "Differential Geometry" by Rudolph and Schmidt
The point is that the action of ##G## on ##P## preserves the fibers. For each ##m\in M##, for each ##p\in \pi^{-1}(m)## and every ##g\in G## you have that ##pg\in \pi^{-1}(m)##.

Likes fresh_42, Korybut and jbergman
Korybut said:
TL;DR Summary: Free Lie group action

Hello there!

Book provides the following definition
Let ##(P,G,\Psi)## be a free Lie group action, let ##M## be a manifold and let ##\pi : P \rightarrow M## be a smooth mapping. The tuple ##(P,G,M,\Psi,\pi)## is called a principal bundle, if for every ##m\in M## there exists a local trivialization at ##m##, that is, there exist an open neighbourhood ##W## of ##m## and a diffeomorphism ##\chi:\pi^{-1}(W)\rightarrow W \times G## such that
1. ##\chi## intertwines ##\Psi## with the G-action on ##W\times G## by translations on the factor ##G##,
2. ##pr_W \circ \chi(p)=\pi(p)## for all ##p\in \pi^{-1}(W)##.

To clarify the notation used ##\Psi## is the map ##\Psi: P\times G\rightarrow P##

My question is about the first property of ##\chi##. I can act with my group using ##\Psi## on ##\pi^{-1}(W)##. Moreover in general I can obtain
## \Psi_g (\pi^{-1}(W))\cap \pi^{-1}(W)=0## (##g\in G##) so ##\chi## has nothing to do with ## \Psi_g (\pi^{-1}(W))##. Here I got puzzled: ##\chi## is supposed to commute with group action however it might not even exist on the corresponding domain. Or this ##\chi## is supposed to be defined on all ##\Psi_g(\pi^{-1}(W))## for all ##g\in G## ?

Thanks in advance
The group action respects fibers. In other words the codomain of ##\Psi## restricted to ##W\times G## is ##W\times G##. More specifically if we look at a fiber above a single point then ##\Psi## restricted to ##p \times G## codomain is still above p, or ##p \times G##.

In plain english, their is a fiber above each point that the group acts on. And the action stays within that fiber. Another way to think about it is that each fiber is isomorphic to the group.

Likes Korybut
Thanks to everyone for help. I kinda get this formal definition

I would like to summarize just in case

Manifold ##P## should be designed in the way that each ##\pi^{-1}(W)## is diffeomorphic to ##W\times G##. One can act on the latter with any element of ##G## in the obvious way.
However I find that my first guess was right. This diffeomorphism ##\chi## is actually defined on ##\Psi_g (\pi^{-1}(W))## for all ##g\in G##, all the examples I found so far are of this type. Than there is no trouble with the first property of the definition.

Korybut said:
Thanks to everyone for help. I kinda get this formal definition

I would like to summarize just in case

Manifold ##P## should be designed in the way that each ##\pi^{-1}(W)## is diffeomorphic to ##W\times G##. One can act on the latter with any element of ##G## in the obvious way.
However I find that my first guess was right. This diffeomorphism ##\chi## is actually defined on ##\Psi_g (\pi^{-1}(W))## for all ##g\in G##, all the examples I found so far are of this type. Than there is no trouble with the first property of the definition.
My summary was:
If we have in addition [to a fiber bundle] a continuous operation ##(E , G) \rightarrow E## of a topological group, e.g. a Lie group, on the total space ##E## of a fiber bundle, then ##(E,X,\pi,F,G)## is called a principal bundle, if the group operation maps each fiber ##E_x## on itself, i.e. ##\pi (xg)=\pi(x)## for all ##x \in E\, , \,g\in G##, the group operates freely (only ##g=1 \in G## leaves points in a fiber invariant) and transitive (all points ##y \in E_x## in a fiber can be reached by some ##g\in G##). ##G## is called the structure group of the principal bundle.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iii/#Sections

The group action is a permutation of each fiber: transitive, and free.

Likes Korybut
Korybut said:
Just to repeat what was already said by every one. You have that ##\pi^{-1}(W)## is the union of the fibers ##\pi^{-1}(m)## over ##m\in W## and each of these fibers is preserved by the action. So the whole ##\pi^{-1}(W)## is also preserved i.e. ##\Psi_g(\pi^{-1}(W)) = \pi^{-1}(W)##.

Likes Korybut
Thanks once again to everyone the notion of principal bundle is perfectly clear to me now

Likes fresh_42

What is a principal bundle?

A principal bundle is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and theoretical physics. It consists of a base space, a total space, and a structure group that acts freely on the total space. The fibers of the bundle are orbits of the action of the structure group, and they are isomorphic to the group itself. Principal bundles are used to describe physical fields and their symmetries in a geometric way.

How does a principal bundle differ from a vector bundle?

While both principal and vector bundles are types of fiber bundles, they differ in their structure and purpose. In a vector bundle, the fibers are vector spaces, and the structure group consists of linear transformations of these vector spaces. In contrast, in a principal bundle, the fibers are isomorphic to the structure group itself, which can be any topological group, and the action is the group action on itself by multiplication. This difference makes principal bundles suitable for framing more general types of symmetries and geometric structures than vector bundles.

What is the role of a connection in a principal bundle?

A connection in a principal bundle provides a way to differentiate along paths in the base space and to lift paths from the base space to the total space. It effectively defines how the structure group twists and turns over the base space, which is crucial for formulating theories like gauge theory in physics. The connection is mathematically described by a connection form, a type of 1-form that takes values in the Lie algebra of the structure group.

How are principal bundles used in physics?

In physics, principal bundles are used to describe gauge theories, which are fundamental in describing fundamental forces and fields such as electromagnetism, the weak force, and the strong force. Each type of gauge theory corresponds to a different principal bundle, where the base space is spacetime, and the fibers represent possible configurations of the gauge field. The connection on the bundle corresponds to the physical gauge field itself.

Can you give an example of a principal bundle?

One classic example of a principal bundle is the circle bundle in the Hopf fibration. Here, the base space is the two-sphere S^2, the total space is the three-sphere S^3, and the structure group is the circle group S^1. Each point on S^2 corresponds to a circle (S^1) in S^3. This bundle illustrates the concept of a non-trivial bundle, where the fiber (circle) twists in a non-trivial way as it moves over the base space.