Learning the Physics of Sound: A Guide

In summary, to learn about the variables that make up the human voice, it is recommended to start with reading standard freshman college texts and learning how sound works gradually. Then, try to learn about different instruments that produce similar sounds and see how they produce different voices. Have fun!
mpatryluk
I've been trying to teach myself the physics of sound. Specifically I've been trying to find out the variables that make up the human voice- the entirety of what separates one voice from another.

But after browsing through one too many overly technical wikipedia articles, and finding one two many sites that only scratches the surface of how sound works, I'm at a loss.

Could anyone recommend a text theyve had an experience with, or another source of learning?

Would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
the entirety of what separates one voice from another
voices are very complex - you will need to build up your ideas about how sound works slowly, a bit at a time.
Any standard freshman college text will give you the basics - develop from there.

The human voice requires understanding interference and diffraction wrt the changing geometries of the different elements of the human vocal apparatus. Everything from the chest-cavity, lungs, diaphragm, vocal chords, ear-voice feedback and so on. Just the shape of the mouth changes the voice, so does the air pressure through the vocal chords, position of the toungue ... see what a project you have set yourself?

But you can simplify the process by figuring what you want to use the final understanding for.

Likes 1 person
Here's a fun little video showing among other things how the human voice can be visualized through a spectrum analysis. You get to learn a little about the FFT and oscilloscopes along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRf-IpG6XAw

Simon Bridge said:
voices are very complex - you will need to build up your ideas about how sound works slowly, a bit at a time.
Any standard freshman college text will give you the basics - develop from there.

The human voice requires understanding interference and diffraction wrt the changing geometries of the different elements of the human vocal apparatus. Everything from the chest-cavity, lungs, diaphragm, vocal chords, ear-voice feedback and so on. Just the shape of the mouth changes the voice, so does the air pressure through the vocal chords, position of the toungue ... see what a project you have set yourself?

But you can simplify the process by figuring what you want to use the final understanding for.

Sounds exciting! And it definitely sounds like there's lots of material to keep me busy. It's reassuring that it's expected to take me some time to work up to, because i wasnt sure if my confusion was justified or not.

Thanks for the help!

DiracPool said:
Here's a fun little video showing among other things how the human voice can be visualized through a spectrum analysis. You get to learn a little about the FFT and oscilloscopes along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRf-IpG6XAw

Really cool resource! Thanks for the tip!

mpatryluk said:
Really cool resource! Thanks for the tip!

That's what I'm here for, mpatryluk :wink:

I remember a teaching demo where I showed, on an oscilloscope, how different musical instruments have different sounds even when playing the same note and tried it with voices ... and discovered a student with perfect pitch. Watching the jagged voice waveform settle into a sine wave was creepy.

Anyway - a good first step is to see if you can work out how different instruments get different sounds.
Pick instruments that have basically the same way of making the sound but still sound different playing the same note. Keep things as much the same as you can without actually having the same instrument and keep it simple so you can build the instruments yourself.

Good luck and have fun.

1. What is the physics of sound?

The physics of sound is the study of how sound waves are produced, transmitted, and perceived. It involves understanding concepts such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength, as well as the properties of different materials and mediums that affect the speed and quality of sound.

2. Why is it important to learn the physics of sound?

Learning the physics of sound can help us understand and control the production and transmission of sound in various applications, such as music, communication, and medical imaging. It also allows us to better understand and appreciate the natural phenomena of sound, such as echoes and resonance.

3. What are some practical applications of the physics of sound?

The physics of sound has numerous practical applications, including the design of musical instruments, the development of communication technologies like telephones and microphones, and the creation of medical imaging tools like ultrasound machines. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, audiology, and audio engineering.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the physics of sound?

One common misconception is that sound travels only in a straight line. In reality, sound waves can bend and reflect off of surfaces, which is why we can hear sounds even when the source is not directly in front of us. Another misconception is that sound cannot travel through a vacuum, when in fact it can travel through any medium, including air, water, and solids.

5. How can I begin learning the physics of sound?

There are many resources available for learning the physics of sound, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It can also be helpful to take a hands-on approach and experiment with creating and manipulating sound waves using simple materials like rubber bands and straws. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor knowledgeable in the subject can greatly aid in understanding the concepts and applications of the physics of sound.