New Test of Relativity: Settling the Debate with an Experiment Tonight

In summary, a group of individuals engage in a conversation about an upcoming experiment that aims to settle the debate between relativity and creationism. The experiment involves time jumping forward by an hour, and the outcome will determine which theory is correct. However, the experiment does not go as planned due to a technical error, and the conversation turns to a humorous discussion about the nature of relativity and the validity of the experiment.
Jimmy Snyder
Tonight I'm going to conduct an experiment that should settle the debate between relativity and creationism. If I'm right, space will remain still as time shoots forward by an hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Tonight I'm going to conduct an experiment that should settle the debate between relativity and creationism. If I'm right, space will remain still as time shoots forward by an hour.
:rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:
I don't see the conflict. When I was in grade school the nuns taught us that Einstein created relativity in six years, and in the seventh year, he published. You have to understand that's a metaphor and shouldn't be taken literally. Carbon dating proves Lorentz helped, but that doesn't actually disprove the existence of Einstein.

Anyway, how'd your experiment go?

I'm betting on relativity but the other may win in the fall when an extra hour gets 'created'.

Sorry guys, that missing hour is all my fault. I forgot to ground my Flux Capacitor and it exploded.

Last night's experiment did not go as planned. All of the clocks did jump forward 1 hour as predicted. However, the one in the den is 60 nanoseconds fast. Before I publish my results, I am checking everything to see if there is a screw loose somewhere.

Drakkith said:
Sorry guys, that missing hour is all my fault. I forgot to ground my Flux Capacitor and it exploded.

You seriously fluxed up.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Last night's experiment did not go as planned. All of the clocks did jump forward 1 hour as predicted. However, the one in the den is 60 nanoseconds fast. Before I publish my results, I am checking everything to see if there is a screw loose somewhere.

We jumped ahead two hours here - one for Tsu and one for me.

I understand Lorentz showed Daylight Time implied creationism but Einstein showed that creationism was not invariant with respect to changing clock time.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Well how is it that it had no effect in my part of the world, hmm ?

Doesn't matter - look, I'll complete the job for you, ummm, should get around to it beginning of April.

And just to show you I know my stuff, I'll make time shoot back by an hour !

Reminds me of this:

drink_deep_or_taste_not_the_Pierian_spring.png

[source: http://abstrusegoose.com/372]

Jimmy Snyder said:

Heh, what I think is funny about a statement like this is that relativity really is a very "a priori" theory in reality! Other than the fact of the speed of light being constant in all reference frames, it's absolutely incredible how much can be deduced from the couch (if you were Einstein and related scientists during those days of course.. though now we can still totally get into that kind of a spirit when we read about the great theory and the logic that leads up to it.)Also the comic above was hilarious.

What is the New Test of Relativity and why is it important?

The New Test of Relativity is an experiment designed to test the validity of Einstein's theory of relativity. It is important because the theory of relativity has been a cornerstone of modern physics for over a century, and its confirmation or refutation could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

How will the experiment be conducted?

The experiment will involve sending two atomic clocks, one on a high-speed plane and one stationary on the ground, around the world in opposite directions. The clocks will then be compared to see if any time dilation has occurred, which would support the theory of relativity.

What are the potential outcomes of the experiment?

If the two clocks show the same time, it would confirm the current understanding of relativity. However, if there is a discrepancy in the time measurements, it could indicate that Einstein's theory is incomplete or incorrect, and a new understanding of the nature of space and time may be needed.

What are the potential implications of the experiment's results?

The implications of the experiment's results could be far-reaching. If the theory of relativity is confirmed, it would provide further evidence for the accuracy of our current understanding of the universe. If the results suggest a need for a new theory, it could revolutionize our understanding of space, time, and gravity.

When will the results of the experiment be available?

The experiment is set to take place tonight, and the results will likely be available within a few days. However, it may take some time for scientists to analyze and interpret the data, so a definitive answer may not be available immediately.