Understanding Phonon Dispersion Relation

In summary, phonons are important for transferring energy and understanding how materials behave in terms of thermal properties.
Abigale
Hi Guys,

I am learning some solid state physics.

I see a lot of pictures with Phonon Dispersion Relation, with
[itex]\omega (\vec{k})[/itex] on the y-axis and [itex]\Gamma, X, M, \Gamma, R[/itex] on the x-axis.

I don't understand, why the angular frequenzy [itex]\omega (\vec{k})[/itex] is important.
Or why is this information important?

THX
Abby

Physics news on Phys.org
Phonon dispersions can be measured by inelastic neutron diffraction. Neutrons are fired at a sample and they absorb or emit a phonon, changing their energy by the angular frequency and their momentum by the k value for the phonon.

OK, thx.
But I need to talk a little bit more about it for full comprehension ^^

"Phonon dispersions can be measured by inelastic neutron diffraction. Neutrons are fired at a sample and they absorb or emit a phonon",
this means the crystal absorbs a phonon ( so just kinetic energy ) by a neutron.

But how can the sample emit the phonon?

Are these Phonons quantized?

yes,the phonos are quantised.They are quanta of vibrational mechanical energy.

Abigale said:
I don't understand, why the angular frequenzy [itex]\omega (\vec{k})[/itex] is important.
Or why is this information important?

I think you are getting lost in the details. Let me give you a bigger picture to always keep in mind.
The reason we care to understand phonons is because they carry and transfer energy. And knowing how and in what capacity they carry energy allows us to calculate the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of any material, which are very important for engineers and applied physicists.

The angular frequency of the phonon is what determines HOW much energy it can carry. The higher its vibration frequency, the more energy it can carry. The dispersion relation allows you to know how many photons there are and how much energy each of them carries. E = [itex]\hbar \omega[/itex]

You will see this eventually when you get to thermal properties and start calculating density of states.

1. What is a phonon dispersion relation?

A phonon dispersion relation is a graph that describes the relationship between the frequency and wavevector of a phonon, which is a quantum of energy associated with lattice vibrations in a solid material.

2. Why is understanding phonon dispersion relation important?

Understanding phonon dispersion relation is important because it provides valuable information about the thermal and mechanical properties of materials, which is crucial for many applications such as designing new materials for various industries.

3. How is a phonon dispersion relation experimentally determined?

A phonon dispersion relation can be experimentally determined using techniques such as inelastic neutron scattering, X-ray scattering, and Raman spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the energy and momentum of phonons in a material and plotting them on a graph.

4. What factors can affect the shape of a phonon dispersion relation?

The shape of a phonon dispersion relation can be affected by various factors, including the type of material, crystal structure, temperature, and external pressure. These factors can influence the strength and interactions of the bonds between atoms in a material, which in turn affects the behavior of phonons.

5. How does phonon dispersion relation relate to other physical properties of materials?

Phonon dispersion relation is closely related to other physical properties of materials such as thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and sound velocity. By understanding the dispersion relation, scientists can gain insights into these properties and how they vary with different materials and conditions.