GF-BF thingy. Yep i am from Mars.

• Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, the conversation is discussing the cultural perspective on dating in the United States. The question is whether families are accepting of their 20+ year old children dating, or if it is seen as a taboo that is kept hidden. It is generally accepted for adults to date without consulting their parents, but there may be some families who do not approve. The outcome depends on the individual family and their level of control over their children.
Spirit
Hey,

So i am studying at a univeristy here at the U.S but not originally from here. I do encounter people here but as 'individuals' and not as 'familys'. Thus i assume i may be missing some parts of the spectrum of this society.

The question i have emerged from a discussion with a friend: Is families at the United states are fine with 'Boy friend- Girl friend' matters happening between the teen, above 20 years old of their sons and daughters, or is it a 'wide spread from behind the backs' that the soceity no longer avoid, and families have no control over?

I assume ofcourse not all famillies have the same ideas and life styles, so any idea of 'ratios or percentages' of how the society and families are percieving this matter.

Yep, i am from Mars, i want to learn about planet Earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spirit said:
Hey,
So i am studying at a univeristy here at the U.S but not originally from here. I do encounter people here but as 'individuals' and not as 'familys'. Thus i assume i may be missing some parts of the spectrum of this society.
The question i have emerged from a discussion with a friend: Is families at the United states are fine with 'Boy friend- Girl friend' matters happening between the teen, above 20 years old of their sons and daughters, or is it a 'wide spread from behind the backs' that the soceity no longer avoid, and families have no control over?
I assume ofcourse not all famillies have the same ideas and life styles, so any idea of 'ratios or percentages' of how the society and families are percieving this matter.

As a matter of cultural awareness your wording is very...peculiar...which is prolly why you haven't gotten any responses. So, just to make sure I understand your question correctly you're asking if a girl's ( or guy's) family would make a big deal out of their 20+ son or daughter dating someone? If that is your question, then the answer would be no (with a few incredibly rare exceptions). Once a person reaches 18, in the US generally, they are on their own as adults. I've been told that it is quite different in other countries where children may not be out on their own until their mid-20s, but here their is large push to get children out on their own and independent by 20 at the latest usually (with the most common exception being if parents are paying for the child to go to a university.)

Spirit said:
Hey,

sooo.. you want to know if it is OK to just date a woman without meeting the family first and getting permission? heck yes it is. In the US, single women have the ability to choose who they date without consulting their family. The parents might not like the person their daughter chooses to date, but they only attempt to convince her to cut that person loose rather than blatantly reject the boyfriend to his face.

Basically, don't worry about consequences to you if you date a woman you meet in university, there are none.

like franz said, I'm not sure if i even understand your wording right. I'd say that culturally, its acceptable for 20 something to date. Some families however, mightn't approve. In those cases it really depends. some families might have enough control over their kids to stop them, some might not, and their children will just date anyway, whether the kids are blatant about it, or go behind the back, depends on the kid and the family they come from. aye?

1. What exactly is the "GF-BF thingy"?

The term "GF-BF thingy" refers to the romantic relationship between a girlfriend (GF) and boyfriend (BF). It is a common slang term used to describe a couple who are dating and have a romantic connection.

2. Is the "GF-BF thingy" a scientific concept?

No, the "GF-BF thingy" is not a scientific concept. It is a colloquial term used in everyday language to describe a romantic relationship between two individuals.

3. How does the "GF-BF thingy" differ from a marriage?

The "GF-BF thingy" is typically a less formal and more casual relationship compared to marriage. It does not involve a legal contract or commitment and can be easily dissolved. Marriage, on the other hand, is a legally binding union between two individuals.

4. Are there any benefits to the "GF-BF thingy"?

The benefits of the "GF-BF thingy" would depend on the individual relationship. Some potential benefits could include companionship, emotional support, and shared experiences. However, there are also potential challenges and drawbacks that come with any relationship.

5. How does the "GF-BF thingy" affect mental health?

The effect of the "GF-BF thingy" on mental health would vary from person to person. Some individuals may experience positive effects, such as increased happiness and support, while others may experience negative effects, such as stress and anxiety. It is important for individuals in any relationship to prioritize their mental health and seek help if needed.