Power required to operate a ski tow

• Thread starter ph123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the power required to operate the ski tow is estimated to be 3.07 * 10^4 W, after taking into account the force perpendicular to the slope and the average mass of the riders.
ph123
"A ski tow operates on a slope of angle 14.3 of length 350m. The rope moves at a speed of 12.4km/hr and provides power for 49 riders at one time, with an average mass per ride of 73.0kg. Estimate the power required to operate the tow."

The eqn I used to sum the forces in the x-direction is:

EFx= Fcos(theta) - mgsin(theta) = 0
F = (mgsin(theta))/cos(theta) = 8935.3N

12.4km/h = 3.44m/s

d/v=t
350m/3.44m/s = t = 101.74s

W = F*s = (8935.3N)(350m)
W = 3127356.9 J

Power = W/dt = 3127356.9J/101.74s
P=3.07*10^4 W

However, this is not right. I feel like I need to include the force in the y-direction in my work equation, but then again perpendicular forces do now work. Does anyone have any idea what I may be overlooking here?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I think you suspect, the component of the force perpendicular to the slope does no work. Get rid of it.

Leaving, then,

F=mgsin(theta)
F=(49)(73.0kg)sin(14.3) = 8658.5N

Yes (though you forgot g in the second line).

Related to Power required to operate a ski tow

1. How is the power required to operate a ski tow calculated?

The power required to operate a ski tow is calculated by multiplying the force required to pull the skiers by the speed at which they are being pulled.

2. What factors affect the power required to operate a ski tow?

The power required to operate a ski tow is affected by factors such as the weight of the skiers, the slope of the hill, the type of ski lift (e.g. surface tow or chairlift), and the speed at which the skiers are being pulled.

3. How does the power required to operate a ski tow differ for different types of ski lifts?

The power required to operate a ski tow can vary depending on the type of ski lift. For surface tows, more power is required as the skiers are being pulled up the hill against the force of gravity. For chairlifts, less power is required as the skiers are being lifted up the hill by the lift mechanism.

4. How does the altitude of the ski area affect the power required to operate a ski tow?

The altitude of the ski area does not have a significant impact on the power required to operate a ski tow. However, higher altitudes may have colder temperatures which can affect the performance of the ski lift machinery.

5. How can the power required to operate a ski tow be reduced?

The power required to operate a ski tow can be reduced by using more efficient machinery, maintaining the equipment regularly, and implementing energy-saving measures such as using renewable energy sources or adjusting the speed and capacity of the lift based on demand.