Are Sea Lions No Match for the Mighty Killer Whale?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, the video showed a documentary on how baby elephants are hunted by lions, and it's important for the lionesses to hunt together as one would not be able to take down a buffalo by herself.
marlon
Don't think so :

Pay attention to the guy speaking in Afrikaner Dutch. That lingo is so funny.

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I could barely discern what the man speaking Afrikaner Dutch said, but that was an amazing video. Thanks. Also, that was a lucky bunch of chatty tourists to have that on video.

Come on, buffalo, go! :rofl:

What a great video! That's one lucky calf - hope he survived his ordeal after all that punishment.

I was watching this last night. Tell me that that herd didn't make a conscious decision to act together to save the baby. Look at how they returned in a tightly packed group. I always wonder how animals communicate.

I don't know if that is evolution or simply a group of wild buffalo's who never met a lion before :bugeye:

Its been well known that buffalo will attack lions in groups or one on one for a long time. Some adult buffalo have been seen actively trying to kill lion cubs. An adult buffalo is simply too big for one lion to take on.

Dutch is a funny dialect of German, as is English. :tongue:

No, the lion is not king of the jungle: Chuck Norris is king of the jungle.

edit: pretty unreal video, though

Last edited:
Ha, even the crocs wanted a piece of the action! Best youtube video ever.

Evo said:
I always wonder how animals communicate.

I keep asking my dog that question.:biggrin: Seriously there is some communication going on here.

I occasionally see five or six coyotes take turns chasing a jack rabbit and wonder how they decide who goes next.

BTW, there were no lions in the video.

Ivan already posted this video before marlon. Get with the program.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Ivan already posted this video before marlon. Get with the program.

Nobody cares man, nobody cares.

Bye bye

marlon

Its clear to us all that you care very much.

Caio Caio

cyrusabdollahi said:
Its clear to us all that you care very much.
Nope, only YOU !

Just making an observation :wink:

Caio Caio
:rolleyes:
It's Ciao Ciao.

Salut salut !

neutrino said:
BTW, there were no lions in the video.

Actually you are correct but hey, i thought the title sounded cool.

marlon

WELL! If you all would follow the YouTube thread you would have seen this days ago. :tongue:

I saw your video Ivan. Too bad Marlon can't pay attention.

Auf Wiedersehen Auf Wiedersehen

cyrusabdollahi said:
Auf Wiedersehen Auf Wiedersehen

I am sure you TRIPLE checked the spelling on this one.

Tot Ziens Tot Ziens

marlon

African wild buffalo and baby elephants are the biggest prey for lions. There was once a pretty shocking documentary on National Geographic channel on a pride of lions hunting baby elephants.

A lioness is roughly 140-160 Kg's while a big male buffalo is never less than 500 Kg and could weigh up to 1000 kg. In this case it' really vital for the lionesses to hunt in a team as one lioness couldn't handle a buffalo. And yes, statistically only 25% of the hunts of a lion end up in meals for the whole family, including all possible prey not only buffalos. So what it's there on the youtube it's not something extraordinary, but current daylife in wild Africa.

Even though the tiger is a much more athletic and versatile hunter, the lion is still the king of the jungle.

Killer whale killing sea lions. Its great. Die stupid sea lions.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes a lion the "king of the jungle"?

The term "king of the jungle" is actually a misnomer, as lions do not live in the jungle. They are found in grasslands, savannas, and open woodlands. However, they are considered to be the top predator in their habitats due to their size, strength, and hunting abilities.

2. How do lions communicate?

Lions use various vocalizations to communicate with each other, including roars, grunts, and moans. They also use body language, such as tail flicking and head rubbing, to convey messages.

3. What do lions eat?

Lions are carnivores, meaning they primarily eat meat. Their diet consists mostly of large ungulates (hooved animals) such as zebras, wildebeest, and buffalo. They may also prey on smaller animals like hares, birds, and reptiles.

4. How do lions hunt?

Lions are ambush predators, meaning they rely on surprise to catch their prey. They use their powerful legs and jaws to take down their prey, often targeting the weakest or slowest animal in a herd. Female lions, or lionesses, typically do most of the hunting.

5. Are lions endangered?

The lion population has decreased significantly in the past century, and they are now considered a vulnerable species. Habitat loss, poaching, and human-lion conflict are the main threats to their survival. Conservation efforts, such as protected areas and anti-poaching measures, are crucial for the survival of these majestic animals.