Will the Live Quiz During PF Chats Be a Success?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: How can a quiz be google proof ?The quiz is designed to be knowledge proof - that is, if someone knows the answer, they will be able to answer the question without having to search for it.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
We will be conducting a trial run of a possible Quiz contest during our regular Sunday PF Chats. Our first trial run (there may be more if necessary) will be this coming Sunday, July 12, 2008, starting at 10:30 am US Central Daylight Time.

A "Quiz" chat room will be opened at that time for this contest. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time. This is how we will run the quiz.

1. Members in the chat room are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification. This will prevent clutter on the screen and allows for a clear presentation of the question and answer.

2. The FIRST member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz moderator will acknowledge the answer by saying "{PFmember} correct", where PFmember is the member's PF username.

3. There will be a time limit of approximately 1 minute after the question is asked. If no correct answer is given, the answer will be revealed and the next question will be asked.

4. The quiz can be on any topic in a given week.

5. Periodically during the quiz, the top 3 scores will be displayed. At the end of the quiz, the top 3 scorers will be displayed and an honor roll will be posted in a Sticky thread in the General Discussion forum.

6. We are still trying to work out the kinks in running this, so there will more changes to come.

7. All regular chat and PF rules are enforced.

8. This meant to be fun. Anyone taking this too the extreme will be spanked! :)

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
8. This meant to be fun. Anyone taking this too the extreme will be spanked! :)
So if someone answers a question with "Kirchoff" a fraction of a second before I answer with "Kirchhoff", and that person gets the point (despite the spelling error), and I argue that (i) they had the wrong spelling, and (ii) they were quicker only because they had to type in fewer characters, and generally throw a tantrum ... then I get spanked?

This is unfair! I protest!

:biggrin:

What if some like to be spanked?

Gokul43201 said:
So if someone answers a question with "Kirchoff" a fraction of a second before I answer with "Kirchhoff", and that person gets the point (despite the spelling error), and I argue that (i) they had the wrong spelling, and (ii) they were quicker only because they had to type in fewer characters, and generally throw a tantrum ... then I get spanked?

This is unfair! I protest!

:biggrin:
Nah, In this case, Zz would just ban both of you. :biggrin:

Looks like I will definitely have to get my really-big paddle ready for tomorrow.

Zz.

Joking aside, this (the Quiz, not the paddling) sounds like a great idea!

This sounds like a good idea. What are the topics on the quiz? Science? Or just general trivia?

G01 said:
This sounds like a good idea. What are the topics on the quiz? Science? Or just general trivia?

There will probably be a particular topic each week. As for the one tomorrow, you will just have to tune in and see.

Zz.

Count me in.

ZapperZ said:
Looks like I will definitely have to get my really-big paddle ready for tomorrow.

Zz.

Wha do you want to use the next time? I remember you began smacking people with boson
and now...:uhh:

Lisa! said:
Wha do you want to use the next time? I remember you began smacking people with boson
and now...:uhh:
Well the bosons were too heavy and not strong enough, so he switched to Composite Bosons. But nowadays it's almost always the Heavy Firmions.

hypatia said:
What if some like to be spanked?

Are you saying that some want a brand new spanking quiz, as well as a brand spanking new quiz?

Just a reminder that our first ever Chat Quiz (Beta versioin 1.0) will begin today at 10:30 am CDT.

Zz.

Is the quiz designed to be Google proof, or will Googling produce the answer?

Gokul43201 said:

How can a quiz be google proof ?

marlon

If one only has a minute to answer then I imagine it should be pretty google proof, unless everyone does not know the answer.

Gokul43201 said:

No, the quiz isn't google proof. However, it is "knowledge" proof, since inevitably, someone who knows the answer will enter an answer faster than someone who has to google for it. There will be, however, questions that you can't google easily.

I also expect that within that 1-minute limit, there will be time to google for the answer if everyone does not know the answer immediately.

Zz.

Gokul43201 said:
Just prepare a list of possible answers, so that all one has to do is cut and paste the answer. :biggrin:

marlon said:
How can a quiz be google proof ?

marlon
There are ways. Most of the quizzes I made in GD were designed to be at least Google-hard, if not Google-proof. But this would be very hard to do if the questions involve things like quotations.

Zz,

Is there a limitation on number of guesses per person per question, or can I just keep shooting out all the possible thoughts that come to my mind, hoping that one of them will click?

And a word of advice: save a couple questions for tie-breakers (if required) or to replace questions that "go bad" (for unexpected reasons).

Also, since a new question will be posted every couple of minutes, when you join the quiz, please do not ask anything, just wait until you see a question posted. Otherwise everytime someone enters we will be bombarded with "what's the question?"

Greg Bernhardt said:
Evo will you be posting the trivia log and results?

yep

marlon

chat will stay up through tomorrow morning, I can't get back to my place to take it down.

Greg Bernhardt said:
chat will stay up through tomorrow morning, I can't get back to my place to take it down.
Too bad :uhh:

hah, I thought that was a joke!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Evo will you be posting the trivia log and results?
Yes, it will be posted shortly, Kurdt is finishing the edit for me.

1. Will the live quiz during PF chats attract a large audience?

It is difficult to predict the exact size of the audience, but live quizzes have been successful in other online platforms and may attract a decent number of participants.

2. How will the live quiz be structured?

The live quiz will likely follow a similar format to traditional quizzes, with a set of questions and multiple choice answers. However, it may also incorporate interactive elements such as polls or timed challenges.

3. Can anyone participate in the live quiz during PF chats?

Yes, anyone who is part of the PF chats community can participate in the live quiz. It may require a sign-up or registration process, but it should be open to all members.

4. Will the live quiz be accessible to people with disabilities?

Efforts will be made to ensure that the live quiz is accessible to people with disabilities. This may include providing alternative formats for questions or accommodations for individuals with visual or auditory impairments.

5. Will there be any prizes for the winners of the live quiz during PF chats?

This will depend on the organizers of the live quiz. Some may choose to have prizes for the winners, while others may simply focus on the fun and educational aspects of the quiz. It is best to check with the organizers for more information on potential prizes.