CFD Result Files - Convert plot3d(fast) > cgns

In summary, there is no straightforward way to convert plot3d data into a format that can be read by CFX. Your best option would be to run the simulation using CFX on your university cluster.
minger
Science Advisor
Hello. I have a small problem. I have a CFD run going on our universities cluster. For those runs, I use a fully structured code that uses plot3d formatted files. Rather than have to go in there and look at them, I would like to look at them here at work, where we use CFX.

In short, is there a way to convert by grid and flow files into an appropriate file that can be read into CFX? Doing a quick google said that CGNS was a somewhat standard, so I figured that would be the easiest conversion rather than to an unformatted proprietary file format.

p.s. plot3d grid file is:
Code:
numBlocks
(imax,jmax,kmax,i=1,nBlocks)
DO i=1,nBlocks
  x(:,:,:),y(:,:,:),z(:,:,:)
END DO
and the flow file is similar
Code:
numBlocks
(imax,jmax,kmax,i=1,nBlocks)
DO i=1,nBlocks
  time,mach,reynolds,angle_of_attack
  mass(:,:,:),xmomen(:,:,:),ymomen(:,:,:),zmomen(:,:,:),energy(:,:,:)
END DO

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there is no universal format for CFD data and each software has their own proprietary format. You may be able to find some software that can convert the plot3d data into a format that CFX can read, but it could be difficult and time consuming. You may also need to use some custom scripting to do the conversion. Your best bet would be to see if your university cluster has CFX installed. If so, you can run the simulation using CFX on the cluster, which will ensure that the output files are in a format that CFX can read.

What is a CFD result file?

A CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) result file is a file that contains the output data from a CFD simulation. It typically includes information such as flow properties, pressure, velocity, and temperature at different points in a fluid domain.

What is the purpose of converting a plot3d(fast) file to cgns?

The purpose of converting a plot3d(fast) file to cgns is to make the data more accessible and compatible with other software and simulation tools. CGNS (CFD General Notation System) is a standardized format for storing CFD data, making it easier to share and use the results from different simulations.

How do I convert a plot3d(fast) file to cgns format?

There are various software tools available that can convert plot3d(fast) files to cgns format. Some popular options include Tecplot, ANSYS Fluent, and Pointwise. These tools typically have a specific function or option for converting the file format.

What are the benefits of using cgns format for CFD result files?

Using cgns format for CFD result files has several benefits. It allows for easier sharing and collaboration between different simulation tools and software. It also provides a standardized format, making it easier to compare and analyze results from different simulations. Additionally, CGNS supports both structured and unstructured grid data, making it a versatile choice for a variety of CFD simulations.

Are there any limitations to using cgns format for CFD result files?

While cgns format has many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. It may not be compatible with older versions of software or simulation tools, so it is important to check compatibility before converting a file. Additionally, the conversion process may result in some loss of data or accuracy, so it is important to carefully review the converted file to ensure the results are still reliable.