What do YOU think the most important FirstYear Phys topic is?

In summary, the most important lesson/topic to internalize in first year physics for an engineering student would be work and energy. It is also important to have a good understanding of motion (kinematics) and forces. Electromagnetism may also be rushed through due to time constraints.
martinlematre
I'm kind of rushing through first year physics cause I am doing it self paced, but I am realizing now that as an engineering i relaly need to internalize and fully understand these lessons. I don't have much time to go over everything again, but what would yo usay the most important lesson/topic/thing to internalize is in first year physics? (in terms of vector decomp, angular speeds or accels, forces, work/energy etc)

I haven't started on electromagnetism yet but idont have much time so i may end up rushing through that as well. i looked through some of the formulas and they don't seem complicated at all (parallel/series circuits and whatnot)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just my opinion, but if I had to pick something I'd say the chapter on work and energy, especially if you are going into engineering. FYI, you'll need to have a good handle on motion (kinematics) and forces first.

Hope that helps.

p.s. welcome to PF!

If pressed to choose, I agree that work & energy are the most important concepts but if you only know these it's still like you don't know any mechanics so it means very little to point out what 'the' most important aspect is.

What is the most important FirstYear Phys topic?

As a scientist, this is a subjective question and my answer may differ from others. However, in my opinion, the most important FirstYear Phys topic is the fundamentals of mechanics. This includes concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and projectile motion. These concepts provide the foundation for understanding more complex topics in physics.

Why do you think mechanics is the most important FirstYear Phys topic?

Mechanics is the study of motion and forces, and it is applicable to a wide range of disciplines such as engineering, astronomy, and biology. It also provides a framework for understanding how objects behave in different situations, which is crucial for solving real-world problems.

Are there any other FirstYear Phys topics that are equally important?

While mechanics is the most fundamental and important topic, there are other FirstYear Phys topics that are equally important. These include thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. These topics also have broad applications and are necessary for understanding more advanced concepts in physics.

What makes mechanics challenging for first-year students?

Many first-year students find mechanics challenging because it involves abstract concepts and requires strong mathematical skills. It also requires a shift in thinking from everyday experiences to a more scientific approach. Additionally, students may struggle with applying the concepts to different scenarios.

How can students excel in learning mechanics?

To excel in learning mechanics, students should master the fundamental concepts and practice solving problems regularly. It is also important to develop strong mathematical skills and apply them to different scenarios. Seeking help from instructors or peers and utilizing resources such as textbooks and online tutorials can also aid in understanding and excelling in mechanics.