Design help -- concentric rings that spin within themselves

In summary, The individual is attempting to design a mechanism similar to a video they have seen, where concentric rings spin within themselves around x, y, and z axes. They plan to use track roller cam follower bearings with a width of 10mm and diameter of 12mm to support each ring, and are trying to calculate the necessary track depth to allow for smooth rotation. They are looking at each nested ring as a solid axle spinning at its center, and want to use the device to wind a mechanical watch through artificial simulation. The bearings will allow for both sliding and rotation, and the outermost ring will be supported by a fixed bracket for rotation along the z axis.
lynxz3
I'm trying to design mechanism similar to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1JNWnTpmkA where i have concentric rings that spin within them selves around x, y and z axis.

I intend to use track roller cam follower bearings to support each ring, with a bearing width of 10mm and a diameter of 12mm. Now what I'm trying to calculate is the depth of the track that would allow a smooth rotation for the bearings. To simplify things i am looking at each nested ring as an solid axle spining at its centre.

Is there an equation to calculate the track depth?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Is there an equation to calculate the track depth?
No. There isn't.

The device is a tad more complex than you described too - the inner ring spins about an axle that is attached to the middle ring. In turn, the axle position can slide around the middle ring. The middle ring has the same arrangement re the outer ring. In the animation, the outer ring is unsupported.

Is this just for art or do you have a purpose in mind?

A more usual arrangement as x-y-z axles that don't slide.

I actually want to make this wind a mechanical watch, through artificial simulation of being worn on the wrist, a regular areotrim was my initial idea, but the additional randomness that the slide adds, would result in a better winding mechanism.

I intend to you cam follower bearing with a integral axle something like this
camfollowerimg.JPG

on opposite sides of the nested rings, basically creating an axle, with ring acting as shaft between two pivots.

These bearings i believe would allow for both the sliding and rotation, provided a track with sufficient clearance is in place that would allow for the sliding action to take place.

As for the 'outer' most ring it would be supported to a fixed bracket that would allow for rotation along the z axis.

1. How do concentric rings spin within themselves?

The concentric rings spin within themselves due to the principle of angular momentum. As the inner ring spins in one direction, the outer ring spins in the opposite direction, creating a balance and allowing the rings to spin freely within each other.

2. What materials are best for creating concentric spinning rings?

The best materials for creating concentric spinning rings are lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum or stainless steel. These materials are strong enough to withstand the spinning motion without becoming deformed or breaking.

3. What is the purpose of concentric spinning rings?

Concentric spinning rings are often used for decorative purposes, but they can also serve as a visual representation of angular momentum and the laws of physics. They can also be used as fidget toys or stress relievers.

4. How can I make my own concentric spinning rings?

To make your own concentric spinning rings, you will need lightweight materials such as aluminum or stainless steel, a drill, and a way to cut the rings into the desired size and shape. It is important to ensure that the rings are balanced and can spin freely within each other.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using concentric spinning rings?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when using concentric spinning rings. These rings can spin at high speeds and may cause injury if not used carefully. It is important to keep long hair and loose clothing away from the rings while they are spinning, and to use them on a flat and stable surface to avoid accidents.