Why is my house falling apart today?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I hope.In summary, the speaker has experienced a series of unfortunate events, including a stopped water connection to their refrigerator, a clogged toilet, a collapsed shelf, and a malfunctioning dryer. They suspect that the hose in their dryer may be causing the issue and have added it to their list of tasks for a handyman. They also mention plans to replace their cabinets in the future due to their poor quality. The conversation also includes suggestions to call the building manager and to clean the dryer hose.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ever had "one of those days"?

My water connection to my refrigerator has mysteriously stopped.

My toilet clogged up and the brand new plunger I bought is defective and won't create any suction (the rubber has a tear inside the cup) Luckily I have two bathrooms.

Is my refrigerator ice maker getting water from the toilet? That might explain a few things...

The shelf in my pantry collapsed on top of me, crashing down on my back...again.

My dryer is making an electronic crackling noise, so I have a load of wet laundry and no place to put it. I'm afraid to run the dryer until I can figure out what the noise is.

The temperature is near zero F outside, what next? Will my heat go out?

Physics news on Phys.org

You need a (handy) man!

Time to call the manager of the buildings. Hope things get fixed very soon.

hypatia said:
Time to call the manager of the buildings. Hope things get fixed very soon.
Aarrgh, I can usually fix anything, but I'm afraid I may have met my match this time.

Evo said:

My toilet clogged up and the brand new plunger I bought is defective and won't create any suction (the rubber has a tear inside the cup) Luckily I have two bathrooms.

Is my refrigerator ice maker getting water from the toilet? That might explain a few things...

The shelf in my pantry collapsed on top of me, crashing down on my back...again.

My dryer is making an electronic crackling noise, so I have a load of wet laundry and no place to put it. I'm afraid to run the dryer until I can figure out what the noise is.

The Ghost from the Domicile of Doom followed you! :uhh:

The crackling noise in the dryer sounds like it could be the electronic spark for initiating the pilot light. It could be a couple of things---often the thermocouple. One time it was the safety switch--- the access panel wasn't in place.

Have you got all the video cams set up in your apt yet? can you move one to under the sink?

Astronuc said:
The Ghost from the Domicile of Doom followed you! :uhh:

rewebster said:
The crackling noise in the dryer sounds like it could be the electronic spark for initiating the pilot light. It could be a couple of things---often the thermocouple. One time it was the safety switch--- the access panel wasn't in place.
It's an electric dryer. The sound seems to be coming from the exhaust hose. o_O

I *will* unclog my own toilet, damnit. There has never been a toilet I couldn't unclog. But what clogged it? I don't create that much waste material. I don't. Really.

well, it could be a crackle in the hose-

-crackles make crackling sounds

rewebster said:
well, it could be a crackle in the hose-

-crackles make crackling sounds
Why would the hose start crackling? Any ideas? I've bent myself behind the dryer and felt all along the hose to see if there was any vibration that might be causing it and I felt nothing. I'm flummoxed.

Evo said:
But what clogged it? I don't create that much waste material. I don't. Really.

have you trained the dog to use it?

try not to be too flummoxed-----

have you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in? --

it may re-set the electronics

Ever had "one of those days"?
take a nap.

rewebster said:
try not to be too flummoxed-----

have you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in? --

it may re-set the electronics
It's coming from the hose, not the dryer. I thought it might be static, but when I start the dryer and it's cold, the noise starts instantly. I'm wondering if some lining inside the hose has come loose. That's got to be it.

(adds replacement dryer hose to handyman list)

Now I need to fix the holes in that incredibly cheap fiberboard that holds the shelf clips. I already replaced the ridiculous plastic clips with metal ones, but the fiberboard is so thin and weak, the holes have enlarged. When I move, I may replace the cabinets with ones I make myself. Luxury apartments with the cheapest cabinets I've ever seen. I should send my doctor bill for my back to them.

Evo said:
Why would the hose start crackling? Any ideas? I've bent myself behind the dryer and felt all along the hose to see if there was any vibration that might be causing it and I felt nothing. I'm flummoxed.

If it's an electrical sounding crackle, I'd call an electrician if I were you. Most electric dryers run on 220 volts - that's nothing to mess around with.

I hope the water line to your refrigerator isn't frozen! Is it possible for a toilet to clog due to a frozen sewer line? I've never heard of such a thing, but you're getting slammed with cold now.

I agree with hypatia...definitely call building maintenance.

Edit: just read your last post. Can you disconnect the hose?

does the dryer work? (create heat?)

and, then, there may be 'something' in the hose-

--have you ever cleaned the hose?

lisab said:
I hope the water line to your refrigerator isn't frozen! Is it possible for a toilet to clog due to a frozen sewer line? I've never heard of such a thing, but you're getting slammed with cold now.
I thought about that, but I don't have any exposed pipes. The water is running fine elsewhere. (uh oh, I shouldn't have said that).

Edit: just read your last post. Can you disconnect the hose?
If I disconnect the hose, the lint will blow all over the laundry room. I'm going to go with my torn lining theory, although I've never run into that problem before. I'm sure this is the cheapest dryer hose on the planet though.

If my back is better tomorrow, I will redrill the holes for the cabinet and shift the shelves down to the new holes. Then I can refill the enlarged holes with wood filler, which is very hard, and then drill them out. The apartment handyman won't go to that trouble, better to just do that myself.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles, Evo, but I find that stuff rather easy. You should try getting a judge who's buddy-buddy with ex's attorney to simply enforce a divorce decree as it was written.

Now that's hard. Sadly, similar relationships exist throughout humanity, and result in similar errors of judgement, even among otherwise very bright and capable individuals.

It seems none of us are immune.

don't turn the dryer on, until AFTER you've taken it off AND put it back on to check to see if there's something in the hose

Evo said:
I thought about that, but I don't have any exposed pipes. The water is running fine elsewhere. (uh oh, I shouldn't have said that).

If I disconnect the hose, the lint will blow all over the laundry room. I'm going to go with my torn lining theory, although I've never run into that problem before. I'm sure this is the cheapest dryer hose on the planet though.

Ah, ok. If you're really sure the sound is coming from the hose, you should unhook it, then vacuum all the lint you can see. Then turn it on just for a few seconds (with no clothes in it), to make sure the noise isn't coming from inside the dryer.

If you hook it back up and find that the noise is gone, maybe it was due to lint build up in the hose.

---and, if the ice maker/water for the frig doesn't work AND you can't see the small feeder line---it might be frozen---if it comes through a cabinet---keep the door open and put a hair dryer to it

rewebster said:
---and, if the ice maker/water for the frig doesn't work AND you can't see the small feeder line---it might be frozen---if it comes through a cabinet---keep the door open and put a hair dryer to it
The kitchen is surrounded on all sides by inside rooms, the wall the refrigertaor is against backs up to the living room wall, it's not an outside wall.

I'm going to give up for the night, I'm afraid of injuring myself more.

Edit: My diagnosis of the fridge water issue is a malfunction of the fridge, not the water line. We'll see if I'm correct. I don't hear that noise the fridge makes when I press the water button, it's dead, it's not telling the water to come out. :tongue:

http://blog.mywinesdirect.com/my_wines_direct_community/images/2008/08/19/red_wine_in_glass_2.jpg​
[/URL]

and relax

Last edited by a moderator:

rewebster said:
http://blog.mywinesdirect.com/my_wines_direct_community/images/2008/08/19/red_wine_in_glass_2.jpg​
[/URL]

and relax
Thanks. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo said:

pazuzu!

zoobyshoe said:
pazuzu!
Is that a curse in Zoobish or a spell to ward off curses? I could use the latter.

All these troubles and yet, we are but tiny, self-important creatures on a pale blue dot. A pale blue dot in an ordinary solar system within a vast galaxy that may contain millions or even billions of other solar systems, still, this galaxy is just one of many galaxies in a huge supercluster that itself seems tiny when put in comparison with the quasi-infinite universe.

I have no choice but to be humble when I realize how insignificant the totality of human life(past, present, and future) is in the universe.

Zubin said:
All these troubles and yet, we are but tiny, self-important creatures on a pale blue dot. A pale blue dot in an ordinary solar system within a vast galaxy that may contain millions or even billions of other solar systems, still, this galaxy is just one of many galaxies in a huge supercluster that itself seems tiny when put in comparison with the quasi-infinite universe.

I have no choice but to be humble when I realize how insignificant the totality of human life(past, present, and future) is in the universe.
Apparently you don't have a clogged toilet.

zoobyshoe said:
pazuzu!

bless you.

Evo said:
Apparently you don't have a clogged toilet.

:rofl:

Noise from dryer hoses on cold days could be that a mouse has found a warm home for a nest. I had that happen once, found that a mouse chewed just enough of a hole in the flaps on the vent outside to get in and made a cozy nest out of lint. Once I evicted the mouse and replaced the hosing (once mice were nesting in the lint, I decided there was probably more lint built up I couldn't see and time to replace anyway), the noises went away.

As for the fridge, call your building manager to fix that one. It could be a clogged water line coming in, especially if you have hard water and it's depositing inside the line, or it could be the pump motor thing-a-majig inside the fridge that's gone kaput (that happened with the cheap fridge in the last place I was renting, the ice maker just decided to stop filling one day).

On why a toilet might be stopping while others are okay, if it doesn't get a strong enough flush, that can happen. Or there might not be the right angle on the waste pipe to let it drain right. But, unless plungering doesn't work, probably no point calling an apartment manager on that one, because all they'll do is keep plungering it too (unless of course you're still snowed in, and can't get a new plunger, then sure, call them and let them do the plungering so you can use the toilet...that's a job request they'll actually do quickly because it's easy and requires no parts).

I know how you feel about just wanting to fix it yourself, but when you rent, part of what you pay for is you don't HAVE to fix it yourself. Besides, let them pay for the parts, not you.

The only thing I can't figure out, though, is how did you get a pantry shelf to fall on your back? Were you climbing inside the pantry or something? :confused:

mugaliens said:
I am sorry to hear about your troubles, Evo, but I find that stuff rather easy. You should try getting a judge who's buddy-buddy with ex's attorney to simply enforce a divorce decree as it was written.

Now that's hard. Sadly, similar relationships exist throughout humanity, and result in similar errors of judgement, even among otherwise very bright and capable individuals.

It seems none of us are immune.

Um, are you in the right thread? :confused:

Evo said:
the brand new plunger I bought is defective and won't create any suction

I had a girlfriend like that once... didn't last long.

Evo said:
Is that a curse in Zoobish or a spell to ward off curses? I could use the latter.

Google will explain.

It's not good.

Last edited:

zoobyshoe said:
Google will explain.

It's not good.
Pazuzu
Although Pazuzu is, himself, an evil spirit, he drives away other evil spirits, thus protecting humans against plagues and misfortunes.
Yay. a "good" evil demon.

Back