Weakly Gravitating System: Showing Energy Momentum Tensor Conservation

Yes, that term apprently remains. Something must be wrong then. What could we have missed ?I'm not sure, but maybe we should keep the term containing T^{0i} instead of T^{00}?
latentcorpse
Consider a system that is weakly gravitating. The metric is slightly perturbed from the corresponding flat metric

i.e. [itex]g_{ab}=\eta_{ab}+h_{ab}[/itex] with [itex]|h_{ab}| \ll 1[/itex]

The system is also non relativistic meaning that time derivatives can be taken to be much smaller that spatial derivatives. This implies that the components of the stress energy tensor can be ordered [itex]|T_{00}| \gg |T_{0i}| \gg |T_{ij}|[/itex]

Under such circumstances, I want to show that stress energy conservation reduces to [itex]T^{\mu k}{}_{,k}=0[/itex]

Well we have to start with our standard GR defn [itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{; \nu}=0[/itex]
[itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{, \nu} + \Gamma^\mu{}_{\sigma \nu} T^{\sigma \nu} + \Gamma^\nu{}_{\sigma \nu} T^{\sigma \mu}=0[/itex]
[itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{, \nu} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \rho} \left( h_{\rho \sigma , \nu} + h_{\rho \nu , \sigma} - h_{\sigma \nu , \rho} \right) T^{\sigma \nu} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\nu \rho} \left( h_{\sigma \rho , \nu} + h_{ \rho \nu , \sigma} - h_{\sigma \nu, \rho} \right) T^{\sigma \mu}=0[/itex]

Now I don't know where to go with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This time I haven't done the calculations, but if I did them, this is what I would do: in your last expression i would use the fact that T_ij can be discarded, as being the smallest, next I would discard the time derivatives of the metric perturbation (because I can do that as per the assumptions) and of the energy-momentum 4-tensor and eventually would use that the flat metric is diag of (+1, -1, -1, -1) or the other conventions.

Use all things and post your work.

bigubau said:
This time I haven't done the calculations, but if I did them, this is what I would do: in your last expression i would use the fact that T_ij can be discarded, as being the smallest, next I would discard the time derivatives of the metric perturbation (because I can do that as per the assumptions) and of the energy-momentum 4-tensor and eventually would use that the flat metric is diag of (+1, -1, -1, -1) or the other conventions.

Use all things and post your work.

Thanks for the reply.

So if we discard the [itex]T^{ij}[/itex] terms then that means that at least one of the indices on [itex]T^{\mu \nu}[/itex] must be a zero . So we are left with

[itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{, \nu} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \rho} \left( h_{\rho 0 , \nu} + h_{\rho \nu , 0 } - h_{0 \nu , \rho} \right) T^{0 \nu} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\nu \rho} \left( h_{0 \rho, \nu} + h_{\rho \nu , 0 } - h_{0 \nu , \rho} \right) T^{0 \mu} = 0[/itex]

Then, discarding time derivatives we get
[itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{, \nu} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \rho} \left( h_{\rho 0 , \nu} - h_{0 \nu , \rho} \right) T^{0 \nu} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\nu \rho} \left( h_{0 \rho, \nu} - h_{0 \nu , \rho} \right) T^{0 \mu} = 0[/itex]

Then I rewrote it as (using symmetry on h indices)

[itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{, \nu} + \eta^{\mu \rho} h_{0 [ \rho , \nu]}T^{0 \nu} + \eta^{\nu \rho} h_{0 [ \rho , \nu]} T^{0 \mu}=0[/itex]

Then I am confused as to what to do next...

The 3rd term of your last equation is 0, right ?

bigubau said:
The 3rd term of your last equation is 0, right ?

Do we know that [itex]h_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is diagonal?

If so, then [itex]\eta^{\nu \rho} h_{[0 \rho , \nu ]} T^{0 \mu}[/itex]

would require [itex]\rho = 0[/itex] so that we are talking about [itex]h_{00}[/itex]

but then if [itex]\rho=0[/itex], the [itex]\eta^{\nu \rho}[/itex] will force [itex]\eta=0[/itex]

but then [itex]h_{0 [ \rho , \nu ]}[/itex] will be [itex]h_{0 [0,0]}[/itex] which is a time derivative and hence negligable.

Is that logic correct?

So now we are down to just [itex]T^{\mu \nu}{}_{, \nu} + \eta^{\mu \rho} h_{ 0 [ \rho , \nu ] } T^{0 \nu}[/itex]

The 3rd term above is not [itex]\eta^{\nu \rho} h_{[0 \rho , \nu ]} T^{0 \mu}[/itex]
, but [itex]\eta^{\nu \rho} h_{0 [\rho , \nu ]} T^{0 \mu}[/itex] which is zero because it's a contraction b/w an antisymmetric tensor (the one with brackets) and the metric of flat spacetime.

For this term, [itex] \eta^{\mu \rho} h_{ 0 [ \rho , \nu ] } T^{0 \nu}[/itex], i would say to keep only the term containing [itex] T^{00}[/itex], because the other can be assumed negligible.

What do you get then ?

bigubau said:
The 3rd term above is not [itex]\eta^{\nu \rho} h_{[0 \rho , \nu ]} T^{0 \mu}[/itex]
, but [itex]\eta^{\nu \rho} h_{0 [\rho , \nu ]} T^{0 \mu}[/itex] which is zero because it's a contraction b/w an antisymmetric tensor (the one with brackets) and the metric of flat spacetime.

For this term, [itex] \eta^{\mu \rho} h_{ 0 [ \rho , \nu ] } T^{0 \nu}[/itex], i would say to keep only the term containing [itex] T^{00}[/itex], because the other can be assumed negligible.

What do you get then ?

Surely we want to get rid of the [itex]T^{00}[/itex] term as this will set [itex]\nu=0[/itex] and result in a time derivative on the h term - which would be negligable, no?

However, if I follow it through
[itex]\frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \rho} ( h_{0 \rho , 0} - h_{00,\rho} ) T^{00}[/itex]
Now the first term has a time derivative which means we ignore it. This leaves
[itex]-\frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu \rho} h_{00, \rho} T^{00}[/itex]
Now we want [itex]\rho \neq 0[/itex] to avoid a time derivative so pick [itex]\rho = i [/itex] but this then forces [itex]\mu=i[/itex] and we get
[itex]-\frac{1}{2} \eta^{ii} h_{00,i}[/itex]

Yes, that term apprently remains. Something must be wrong then. What could we have missed ?

1. What is a weakly gravitating system?

A weakly gravitating system is a physical system in which the gravitational effects are relatively small compared to other forces present. This can occur when the masses involved are small or when the distances between them are large.

2. How is the energy momentum tensor conserved in weakly gravitating systems?

The energy momentum tensor is conserved in weakly gravitating systems because the gravitational force is relatively weak and does not significantly affect the overall energy and momentum of the system. This allows for the conservation of energy and momentum within the system.

3. Why is it important to show energy momentum tensor conservation in weakly gravitating systems?

Showing energy momentum tensor conservation in weakly gravitating systems is important because it helps to understand the overall dynamics and behavior of these systems. It also allows for the application of conservation laws in studying and predicting their behavior.

4. What are some real-life examples of weakly gravitating systems?

Some real-life examples of weakly gravitating systems include the motion of planets around the sun, the interactions between particles in a gas, and the behavior of galaxies in the universe. These systems exhibit weak gravitational effects compared to other forces at work.

5. How is the concept of weakly gravitating systems related to the theory of general relativity?

The concept of weakly gravitating systems is closely related to the theory of general relativity, which explains the nature of gravity as a curvature of spacetime. In weakly gravitating systems, this curvature is small and can be approximated by a linear equation, making it easier to study and understand the effects of gravity on the system.