High School Student looking for insight regarding engineering

In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on pursuing a career in engineering, specifically mechanical engineering. They are interested in finding a major that offers both a high salary and aligns with their interests and hobbies, which include surfing, lacrosse, cars, boating, watches, hockey, and adrenaline-inducing activities. The student is also taking a number of honors and regular classes in preparation for college. They are a hard-working and driven student, but struggle with focusing on uninteresting topics. The conversation also mentions the current state of the engineering job market and suggests exploring other related fields such as biomedical engineering, bioinformatics, and data sciences for greater job security and satisfaction. Ultimately, it is emphasized that engineering requires discipline and attention to detail
SeanLM
High School Student looking for insight regarding engineering!

Hi, I'm a junior in high school who is looking to focus on some type of engineering. I have researched a lot on the web and at interesting questions on this forum about the different types of engineers and what they do. What most intrigued me was ME which has a wide field of opportunities and careers. Ultimately, my question is: what major would be greatest in salary AND joy related to my interests and hobbies? - My completely avid interests are as follows: Surfing, lacrosse, cars, especially fast and nice cars, boating and boats, watches, hockey, anything having to do with the water, skiing, and anything with an adrenaline rush...haha.

If i choose to become a ME what could i pursue that would keep me focused, make the most money, and of course enjoy!? I have been some type of engineering for designing cars - what type of engineer would be the best? or would industrial design be better?

I felt compelled to tell all readers my situation. I am about to be a junior in HS in RI. I am taking about 4 honors classes that include chemistry, english, biotechnology and maybe one more. and reg classes like us history, spanish, and pre-calculus. Next year i will be taking honors physics and calculus.

I am a very hard working student and i work towards what i want. I always apply myself and look to learn more and more everyday. I am the person to take initiative and feel as though i am always a leader. I am also an outgoing and humorous person who knows how to get what I want. The only thing i have a hard time doing is focusing in class if the topic is confusing and uninteresting.

ANY INSIGHT WITH MY FUTURE OR DECISION MAKING REGARDING COLLEGE OR ANYTHING IS MUCH APPRECIATED! thankyou.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, ME won't offer you an adrenaline rush. ME will give you the opportunity to pursue an engineering career after four years of hard work at college. If you can't learn to focus by the time you're off to college, it could mean that you college career will be brief, and you can spend more time getting those adrenaline rushes.

Engineering is a good focus since it will leave you prepared for very many different career paths. If STEM is a strength of your's then begin to focus on your communication skills for balance.

As regards salary, let me direct you to a cnbc article "There Is No Shortage of Tech Workers", http://www.cnbc.com/id/100674327. Because of the ability of corporations to lobby for H1B visa increases, don't expect salaries to rise much or for there to be very much job security. Employment in many engineering fields is very cyclical and you could experience longer periods of unemployment than you might expect given headlines about high demand for engineers. Employers are increasingly less committed to retraining workers.

Much work in engineering can be tedious and frustrating but also satisfying if you like science and math. A very interesting and more secure field would be in the area of health care, e.g. Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Data Sciences (like the Institute of Data Sciences and Engineering - Columbia University), Robotics etc. that are related to ME, CS, EE.

Good luck. Remember that engineering is about detail and discipline first with "the rush" coming at the successful completion of the project.

Mechanical engineering is a good fit for people who love science, but aren't too particular about what they want to do. The ME discipline touches a lot of fields, so it exposes you to a lot of possibilities. I'd say, if you like working with your hands and building something, ME is a good fit. If not, then specialize in something you'd rather do.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering! I can definitely provide some insight and guidance for you.

Firstly, it's important to know that there are many different types of engineering, each with its own unique opportunities and career paths. Mechanical engineering (ME) is a great field with a wide range of applications, as you mentioned. However, it's important to also consider other fields such as industrial engineering, aerospace engineering, and automotive engineering, which may also align with your interests and hobbies.

In terms of salary and job satisfaction, it's difficult to predict as it can vary greatly depending on your specific job and company. However, it's important to choose a field that you are truly passionate about, as that will ultimately lead to a more fulfilling and enjoyable career.

Based on your interests, it seems like you may be interested in pursuing a career in automotive or aerospace engineering, as these fields involve designing and working with fast and high-performance vehicles. An industrial design degree can also be a great option, as it combines both engineering and design principles.

As for your academic path, it's great to see that you are already taking challenging courses in high school, especially in math and science. These will provide a strong foundation for your future studies in engineering. It's also important to continue exploring your interests and gaining hands-on experience through internships or extracurricular activities.

In terms of decision making, it's important to research and consider different schools and programs that offer engineering degrees. Look for programs that have a strong reputation and offer opportunities for hands-on experience and research. It's also a good idea to speak with current engineering students or professionals to gain more insight and advice.

Overall, it seems like you have a strong work ethic and drive, which are important qualities for success in the field of engineering. Keep exploring your interests and continue working hard towards your goals. Best of luck!

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It is a broad field that encompasses various disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing engineering in high school?

There are several benefits to pursuing engineering in high school. It can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are essential for success in any career. It also exposes you to various fields of engineering, helping you decide which one you are most interested in pursuing in college.

3. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for an engineering degree?

To prepare for an engineering degree, it is recommended to take courses in math, physics, and chemistry. These subjects provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles and concepts used in engineering. Additionally, taking computer science and drafting courses can also be beneficial.

4. What extracurricular activities can help me stand out as an engineering student?

Participating in extracurricular activities related to engineering, such as robotics clubs, math and science competitions, and engineering summer camps, can help you stand out as an engineering student. These activities can demonstrate your passion for the field and also provide hands-on experience in applying engineering principles.

5. What are some potential career paths in engineering?

There are many potential career paths in engineering, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and aerospace engineering, to name a few. Within each of these fields, there are numerous industries and specialties that you can pursue, giving you a wide range of career options as an engineer.