Infinite Gravity: Photons Particles w/o Mass?

In summary: Basically, at the quantum level, you have particles that are very tiny and can exist in more than one state simultaneously.Yes, at the quantum level you have particles that can exist in more than one state simultaneously. So, for example, a photon can be a wave or a particle.
Ange de L'inconnu
How can photons be particles if they have no mass? Are they just a concept so that light can be rationalized, or do they really exist? Please pardon my ignorance, as I am still relatively young (15.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ange de L'inconnu said:
How can photons be particles if they have no mass? Are they just a concept so that light can be rationalized, or do they really exist? Please pardon my ignorance, as I am still relatively young (15.)

Ange, photons are tiny bits of pure energy. Sometimes they act like waves, and sometimes they act like particles. Yes, they really exist but a complete description can be very complicated.

mijoon said:
Ange, photons are tiny bits of pure energy. Sometimes they act like waves, and sometimes they act like particles. Yes, they really exist but a complete description can be very complicated.

Can energy be converted into matter? If so, then couldn't we convert photons into matter?

And if we could convert energy into matter, could it happen the other way around?

|Orion's Thought| said:
And if we could convert energy into matter, could it happen the other way around?

As far as I know, matter can be converted into energy, but energy can only be converted into matter in extremely small subatomic amounts using particle accelerators that cannot be assembled to form atoms, molecules, etc. because of conservation laws of energy. Am I right?

Energy can be converted into matter. At the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (S.L.A.C.), they used high powered lasers and electromagnetic fields to turn light into a tiny amount of matter, as you said, about particle size.

Last edited:
|Orion's Thought| said:
Energy can be converted into matter. At the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (S.L.A.C.), they used high powered lasers and electromagnetic fields to turn light into a tiny amount of matter.

Yes, but as I said above, the particles that result from this are even smaller than atoms. The reason they cannot form the kind of matter we are familiar with is described above. Usually, when particle accelerators are used, matter and antimatter pairs are created, which have the unfortunate tendency to unite and form energy again. Antimatter has been separated from matter using magnetic fields before, but this is difficult.

Last edited:
Basically, what you mean by "particle" is probably what we call the classical notion of a particle. That concept is fine and good for classical approximations, but it breaks down at extreme scales.

A photon is not a classical particle.

However, we now have a quantum mechanical notion of particle which generalizes (and "fixes") the old notion of a classical particle. A photion is this sort of particle.

You don't actually have to get to quantum mechanical levels for this to be useful -- I believe that things like solitons and phonons are essentially the same idea, and they behave at the classical level.

1. What is infinite gravity?

Infinite gravity is a hypothetical concept in physics that suggests gravity may have an infinite range and strength, meaning it could potentially affect all particles in the universe regardless of distance.

2. What are photons?

Photons are elementary particles that make up light. They have no mass, but they have energy and momentum. They are also known as the carrier particles of the electromagnetic force.

3. How can photons have particles without mass?

According to the theory of relativity, particles with zero rest mass can still have energy and momentum. Photons have no rest mass, but they have energy due to their motion and momentum due to their massless nature.

4. How does infinite gravity affect photons?

If gravity has an infinite range and strength, it would affect all particles, including photons. This means that photons would also be affected by the gravitational pull of objects, even though they have no mass.

5. Is there any evidence for infinite gravity or massless particles?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for infinite gravity or massless particles. However, the existence of particles with zero rest mass, such as photons, is well-established in physics. The concept of infinite gravity is still a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.