A seemingly impossible problem

• Thread starter blackflub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations needed to determine the difference in temperature at the top and bottom of Niagara Falls, disregarding evaporation. The final answer is 0.118 degrees Celsius, taking into account the conservation of energy and the specific heat capacity of water. The conversation also mentions the conversion of kinetic energy to heat when the water hits the bottom of the falls.
blackflub
i can't even figure out where to start with this one

The water going over Niagara Falls drops 50.6 m. How much warmer is the water at the bottom of the falls thatn it is at the top? Disregard any possible effects of evaporation of water during the fall.

any help would be appreciated and the final answer is .118 C

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is conserved:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]thermal + [tex]\Delta[/tex]potential = 0

[tex]mc \Delta T + mgh = 0[/tex]

Factor out the m

[tex](4187) \Delta T + (9.8)(-50.6) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Delta T = 0.1184[/tex]

thanx soo much i guess i thought it was soo hard that i believed myself

the unsettling thing is, what about the kinetic energy?

What kinetic energy? The water as it falls, increases speed (so kinetic energy also) as it loses potential energy. However, when it hits the bottom, it stops going down! There will be some small motion of water but it will be so turbulent that eventually it will be converted to heat. In the long run all the energy is converted to heat.

where did u get 4187?

joehoy41 said:
where did u get 4187?

The c term, the specific heat capacity of water in J/(kg.K).

BTW, this thread is nearly 8 years old!

1. What is "A seemingly impossible problem"?

"A seemingly impossible problem" refers to a situation or challenge that appears to have no solution or seems extremely difficult to solve.

2. How do you approach a seemingly impossible problem?

To approach a seemingly impossible problem, it is important to first break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and experiment with different approaches until a viable solution is found.

3. What are some common characteristics of seemingly impossible problems?

Seemingly impossible problems often involve complex systems, conflicting interests, and limited resources. They may also require a combination of creativity, critical thinking, and perseverance to solve.

4. How can we overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed by a seemingly impossible problem?

One way to overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed by a seemingly impossible problem is to focus on one small aspect at a time and celebrate small victories. It can also be helpful to seek support and advice from others, as well as taking breaks to recharge and approach the problem with a fresh perspective.

5. Can seemingly impossible problems ever be solved?

While some problems may seem impossible at first, with determination, creativity, and perseverance, solutions can often be found. It may require thinking outside of the box and being open to new ideas, but many seemingly impossible problems have been overcome in the past.