System Problems: "Page Not Found" Error

• Thread starter RandallB
  • Start date
In summary, some threads seem to lock out to a "The page your looking for can't be found." message. Is this a known problem? Some threads seem to lock out to a "The page your looking for can't be found." message. Does this seem like a problem?Some posts in a thread seemed incomplete, and after I posted to the thread, other posts stopped coming. I was also not able to post any additional posts in that thread after logging out and logging back in. This might be useful information to a system administrator if this problem occurs again.
RandallB
Some threads seem to lock out to a "The page your looking for can't be found."
Is this a known problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
RandallB said:
Some threads seem to lock out to a "The page your looking for can't be found."
Is this a known problem.

That can happen when a Mentor is busy deleting a thread -- the link is no longer valid, but you may still have a pointer to it in your cache, for example. Could that be what you are seeing?

Doesn’t seem that way, problem started yesterday while trying to edit a post with 30 minutes allowed but it the Forum System was sending the update to the
“The page your looking for can't be found." message I could tell it was a PF message from the google ads that were still on top.

I was able to post a measure in the tread that the prior post was incomplete and needed fix and although other were still posting in thread, after that even posts were giving back the “Page can’t be found” message from PF.

Unsure if this post will take but if it does I’ll try a test edit on it.
I’ll mark the addiotion as a TEST EDIT so if you do not see below it did not take.

Also, if you do not see me follow with another post right away it means I cannot get a follow on post to take either.

RB

Test edit - seems to work here

Last edited:
Go figure
no problem here
I'll wait a day and see if I can get back onto
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=237570

The PC's here clear cache with every login and again with reboots which I aways do when tring to clear problems like this.
Maybe there is some network cache messing up somewhere down the line.
So I'll give it another day to clear on its own.

I'll let you know.

Just to follow up on the problems I had earlier with posting that lasted a couple days for posts 24 & 25 in thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=237570&page=2

Probably won't mean much to Mentors and maybe not even a System Administrator unless the problem reoccurs. So this is just FYI for the admin, if it might be needed later.

I cut and paste into and back out of MS Word 2007 when making a post. And my library system admin has seen some Web Sites have problems with the double quote symbol (“) from the new version of word. And I do notice when typing directly into physics forums the quote symbol does look a little different. Doesn't make any sense to me that this could be a problem except wherever I pasted a copy of the post text post into other parts of Physics Forums, the same ("The page your looking for can't be found.") from PF was displayed. [Again, I could tell it was coming from PF, as it included the PF header Google ads].
Once that error occurred I could no longer post in use that part of PF. As that part of the fourm would from then on only give ("The page your looking for can't be found.") error blocking access to that thread; the PM - Private Messaging system; opening a new thread in any forum I had tried to paste in the text detail for reference.
Including failing to be able to post the detail or any additional posts to this “Forum Feedback & Announcements” Forum, even after logging out clearing local cache and logging back in.

I’m hoping that by allowing some time, whatever system, network cache or other issue may have been involved has hopefully just aged out of the system. And I can add this info – nothing to fix now I hope, but if it happens again to someone else, the above might be useful to a system administrator.

What is a "Page Not Found" error and why does it occur?

A "Page Not Found" error, also known as a 404 error, occurs when a webpage is unable to be located by the server. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as the webpage being moved or deleted, an incorrect URL, or server issues.

How can I fix a "Page Not Found" error?

The first step in fixing a "Page Not Found" error is to check the URL for any typos or errors. If the URL is correct, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If the error persists, contact the website owner or administrator to report the issue.

Can a "Page Not Found" error be harmful to my computer?

No, a "Page Not Found" error is not harmful to your computer. It simply means that the webpage you are trying to access cannot be found. However, if the error is caused by a malicious website, it is important to exit the page immediately and run a virus scan on your computer.

Is there a way to prevent "Page Not Found" errors from occurring?

While it is not possible to completely prevent "Page Not Found" errors from occurring, there are steps you can take to minimize their frequency. This includes regularly checking and updating your website's links, setting up redirects for removed pages, and utilizing proper error handling techniques.

What should I do if a website consistently displays a "Page Not Found" error?

If a website consistently displays a "Page Not Found" error, it is likely a problem with the website itself. In this case, you can try accessing the website at a later time or contact the website owner to report the issue. It is also possible that the website has been permanently removed or is no longer functioning.