What Makes These 11 Foods Some of the Most Expensive in the World?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the high cost of saffron and its use in cooking, with one person mentioning the even more expensive Saharan pond wort. The conversation also touches on the rising prices of other items.
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't know saffron cost THAT much!

But you only use a few stamens in a recipe. It used to be the world's most expensive spice, but there is now something more expensive, but I am on drugs, so I can't remember.

I love saffron, I mostly use it for my paella.

Wow! :bugeye:

*Ahem* The price just went up on GOOBF cards. :biggrin:

Evo said:
But you only use a few stamens in a recipe. It used to be the world's most expensive spice, but there is now something more expensive, but I am on drugs, so I can't remember.

I love saffron, I mostly use it for my paella.

It is the petals from the Saharan pond wort, they only flower once every 10yrs.

Moonbear said:
Wow! :bugeye:

*Ahem* The price just went up on GOOBF cards. :biggrin:

Darned inflation. :frown:

What is the history of chocolate and cake?

The history of chocolate and cake dates back to ancient civilizations such as the Mayans and Aztecs who used cacao beans to make a bitter drink. The combination of chocolate and cake as we know it today originated in Europe in the 17th century.

What are the health benefits of chocolate and cake?

Both chocolate and cake contain antioxidants, which may help to reduce the risk of certain diseases. Chocolate also contains flavonoids, which have been linked to improved heart health. However, both should be consumed in moderation as they are high in sugar and calories.

What are some popular variations of chocolate and cake?

Some popular variations of chocolate and cake include chocolate lava cake, chocolate fudge cake, and chocolate chip cake. Other variations may include different types of chocolate, such as dark, milk, or white chocolate, or different types of cake, such as sponge, red velvet, or cheesecake.

What is the science behind the taste of chocolate and cake?

The taste of chocolate and cake is due to the combination of ingredients and their interactions with our taste buds. Chocolate contains compounds such as theobromine and caffeine, which can give a bitter taste, while sugar and fat in cake can enhance the sweetness and richness of the taste.

Can chocolate and cake be part of a healthy diet?

Chocolate and cake can be part of a healthy diet in moderation. It is important to balance their consumption with other nutritious foods and to be mindful of portion sizes. Choosing darker chocolate and homemade or healthier versions of cake can also contribute to a healthier overall diet.