Distinct Eigenvalues in matlab

In summary, a number and its negative appear as eigenvalues of a matrix, but they are not considered to be distinct.
samurye
All I want to know is if a number and its negative appear as eigenvalues of a matrix, are they considered distinct?

I have 4,1,-2,3 and -1 as eigenvalues of a particular matrix, but I can't get 5 linearly independent eigenvectors (to diagonalise the original matrix). I've plugged away and used Matlab and this is the only way it would make sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
samurye said:
All I want to know is if a number and its negative appear as eigenvalues of a matrix, are they considered distinct?
yes
samurye said:
I have 4,1,-2,3 and -1 as eigenvalues of a particular matrix, but I can't get 5 linearly independent eigenvectors (to diagonalise the original matrix). I've plugged away and used Matlab and this is the only way it would make sense to me.

Are you sure you have the right characteristic polynomial or haven't otherwise made a sign error? What you're saying makes me think that one of the eigenvalues is repeated, in which case they wouldn't be distinct. If the eigenspace for the repeated eigenvalue is of dimension 1, then you'll get only four vectors total.

The problem is whether the following matrix is diagonalisable:

4 0 0 1 0
0 1 0 0 0
1 0 -2 0 0
0 0 0 3 0
0 0 0 -2 -1

I can't think of any easier way to find the e'values other than by brute force, which looks hard for a 5x5 matrix (or Matlab :smile: ), save to say that they appear on the diagonal on this example. Are there easier ways?

Matlab tells me there are 5 e'values and enumerates the e'vectors and e'values with the code [v,e]=eig(A).

The e'vals given are 4, 1, -2, 3, -1. Given that there are 5 distinct e'vals then it should be diagonalisable.

Edit. I have just worked it out in Matlab but is there an easier way by hand. My notes tell me the Geometric multiplicity will equal the Algebraic multiplicity, so do I now have to work out the ref of each A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I to get this?

Last edited:
Well, for this particular matrix, it is pretty easy to see, by expanding the determinant [itex]A-\lambda I[/itex] by minors, that we can always choose a row or column with only one non-zero entry so the eigenvalues are just the numbers on the diagonal:-1, 1, -2, 3, and 4.

To answer your first question, yes , of course, -1 and 1 are different numbers and so "distinct eigenvalues". By simply multiplying out [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex] I get
[itex]4x_1+ x_4= \lambda x_1[/itex]
[itex]x_2= -\lambda x_2[/itex]
[itex]x_1- 3x_3= \lambda x_3[/itex]
[itex]3x_4= \lambda x_4[/itex]
[itex]-2x_4- x_5= \lambda x_5[/itex]
Putting [itex]\lambda[/itex]= -1, 1, 2, 3, and 4 gives equations to solve for the corresponding eigenvectors. I get, for example, that the eigenvectors corresponding to [itex]\lambda= -1[/itex] are all multiples of <0, 0, 0, 0, 1> and the eigenvectors corresponding to [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] are all multiples of <0, 1, 0, 0, 1>.

Aha. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of distinct eigenvalues in matlab?

Distinct eigenvalues in matlab refer to the eigenvalues of a square matrix that are different from each other. In other words, each eigenvalue has a unique value and there are no repeated values.

2. How do I determine if a matrix has distinct eigenvalues in matlab?

To determine if a matrix has distinct eigenvalues in matlab, you can use the "eig" function which returns the eigenvalues of a matrix. If all the eigenvalues are different, then the matrix has distinct eigenvalues.

3. Can a matrix have distinct eigenvalues and still be singular in matlab?

Yes, a matrix can have distinct eigenvalues and still be singular in matlab. This means that even though the eigenvalues are different, the matrix is not invertible and has a determinant of 0.

4. How does having distinct eigenvalues affect the diagonalizability of a matrix in matlab?

Having distinct eigenvalues is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a matrix to be diagonalizable in matlab. This means that if a matrix has distinct eigenvalues, it may or may not be diagonalizable.

5. Can I use the "eig" function in matlab to find the distinct eigenvalues of a non-square matrix?

No, the "eig" function in matlab can only be used to find the eigenvalues of a square matrix. Therefore, it cannot be used to find the distinct eigenvalues of a non-square matrix.