Question regarding eigenvectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given matrix. It demonstrates the process of finding the eigenvectors and discusses whether multiple eigenvectors are valid solutions. It also mentions the importance of linear independence in the case of larger matrices.
arhzz
Homework Statement
Eigenvectors
Relevant Equations
-
So I have been studying for my upcoming math exam and a lot of the problems require to find eigenvalues/eigenvectors.Now the question I have is the following;

Take a look at this matrix

$$ \left[ \begin{matrix} 6 & -3 \\\ 3 & -4 \end{matrix} \right] $$

Now the eigenvalues are ##\lambda_1 = 5 ## and ##\lambda_2 = -3 ##

Now to find the eigenvectors I did this.

First I subtracted 5 from the diagonal of the original matrix and it looks like this.

$$ \left[ \begin{matrix} 1 & -3 \\\ 3 & -9 \end{matrix} \right] $$

Now to find the eigenvectors this should be the way

$$ \left[ \begin{matrix} 1 & -3 \\\ 3 & -9 \end{matrix} \right] \cdot \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\\ 0 \end{pmatrix} $$

And the equations look like this

## x_1 - 3x_2 = 0 ##
## 3x_1 - 9x_2 = 0 ##

If we multiply the first equation with 3 and subract that from the second equation; we get

## x_1 - 3x_2 = 0 ##
## 0 0 = 0 ##

Now we can say that ## x_1 = 3x_2 ## and let x1 = 1 we get that the eigenvector is

## v_1 = (1,3) ##

Now the solutions say it should be ## v_1 = (3,1) ## the same simply rearanged.My question is are both eigenvectors valid? Does it matter if its (1,3) or (3,1) because I'm susposed to build a fundamental matrix and I'm not sure if this plays a role.

Physics news on Phys.org
An eigenvector satisfies the equation ##A\cdot \vec{v} = \lambda \cdot \vec{v}## or ##(A-\lambda \cdot I)\cdot \vec{v}=0## where ##I## is the identity matrix and ##\lambda ## the variable, the eigenvalue we want to know.

Now you should solve this equation system. If you already had the determinant then use it here.

arhzz said:
Homework Statement:: Eigenvectors
Relevant Equations:: -

So I have been studying for my upcoming math exam and a lot of the problems require to find eigenvalues/eigenvectors.Now the question I have is the following;

First I subtracted 5 from the diagonal of the original matrix and it looks like this.

$$ \left[ \begin{matrix} 1 & -3 \\\ 3 & -9 \end{matrix} \right] \cdot \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\\ 0 \end{pmatrix} $$

## x_1 - 3x_2 = 0 ##
## 3x_1 - 9x_2 = 0 ##

If we multiply the first equation with 3 and subract that from the second equation; we get

## x_1 - 3x_2 = 0 ##
## 0 0 = 0 ##

Now we can say that ## x_1 = 3x_2 ## and let x1 = 1 we get that the eigenvector is

## v_1 = (1,3) ##
No. If ##x_1 = 1## then ##x_2 = 1/3##.

It's easier to set ##x_2 = 1## which gives ##x_1 = 3##.
arhzz said:
Now the solutions say it should be ## v_1 = (3,1) ## the same simply rearanged.My question is are both eigenvectors valid? Does it matter if its (1,3) or (3,1) because I'm susposed to build a fundamental matrix and I'm not sure if this plays a role.
<3, 1> is an eigenvector; <1, 3> is not.

Likes arhzz
Apart from what has already been said, when you construct your equations they will be linearly dependent by construction. This means you can just throw one of them away in the case of a 2x2 matrix - unless the equation is 0 = 0 - then use the other (although be careful in the case of more than 2x2 matrices not to throw away equations that are linearly independent from the rest ...) There is no need for 2x2 matrices to go around eliminating by multiplying and subtracting.

Likes arhzz
Uh your right,I did my algebra wrong. But also good to know that I can just focus on one equation. Thanks for the help!

arhzz said:
Homework Statement:: Eigenvectors
Relevant Equations:: -

## x_1 - 3x_2 = 0 ##
## 3x_1 - 9x_2 = 0 ##

## x_1 - 3x_2 = 0 ##
## 0 0 = 0 ##

## v_1 = (1,3) ##

You can always check, with your matrix. Evaluate it at ##(3,1)##. Is ##(3,1)## an Eigenvector associated to## 5##? Is ##A[3,1]^{T}=5*(3,1)^{T} ## ?

Note: ##(3,1)^{T}## is just the vector ##(3,1)##, written as a column vector, instead of as a row vector, to make the requirements that ##Av## ; for ##A## being ## m \times n ## , and the vector being ##n \times 1 ##.

Likes arhzz
arhzz said:
Uh your right,I did my algebra wrong. But also good to know that I can just focus on one equation. Thanks for the help!
You can also easily check your own work once you think you have an answer. Does Av=λv? It's not hard in two dimensions.

This is how the real world works once you graduate. There is no answer key when you're building a bridge. Your boss doesn't want to have to do all of the same work you do to see if you've made mistakes. All of us make mistakes from time to time, it's what humans do. So engineering solutions should always be verified whenever possible. You will find that the amount of effort expended to check your work is much less than the effort required when mistakes aren't noticed until later.

Likes arhzz and Mark44
Your right of course (as per usual).Checking the answer is really simple,I've been able to verify that (1,3) is not an eigenvector. Thanks for the help as always,cheers!

Likes DaveE

1. What are eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that do not change direction when a linear transformation is applied to them. They only change in magnitude by a scalar factor, known as the eigenvalue.

2. Why are eigenvectors important?

Eigenvectors are important because they help us understand linear transformations and their effects on vectors. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How do you find eigenvectors?

To find eigenvectors, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. This can be done by solving the characteristic equation. Once you have the eigenvalues, you can find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving the system of equations (A-λI)x=0, where A is the original matrix and λ is the eigenvalue.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are closely related. Eigenvectors are the vectors that do not change direction when a linear transformation is applied, while eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values that represent the magnitude of this transformation. Together, they form the eigenpair.

5. What are some real-world applications of eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors have many real-world applications, such as in image processing, data compression, and machine learning. They are also used in engineering for structural analysis and in physics for solving quantum mechanics problems.