Attachment Approval Process: Virus & Malware Check?

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
In summary, the Attachment Approval Process is designed to protect computer systems and networks from potential threats by scanning attachments for viruses and malware. It checks all types of attachments and cannot be bypassed or disabled by users in most cases. However, it is not 100% effective and other security measures should also be in place.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I have a question about attachments and the attachment approval process: Does approving an attachment include checking for viruses or malware?

Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
I have a question about attachments and the attachment approval process: Does approving an attachment include checking for viruses or malware?

At the moment it does not.

Ah, okay. I'll have to be careful with those .doc attachments then.

I never look at .doc attachments. :frown:

1. What is the purpose of the Attachment Approval Process?

The Attachment Approval Process is designed to ensure that any files or documents attached to emails or downloaded from the internet are safe and free from viruses and malware. This helps to protect computer systems and networks from potential threats.

2. How does the Attachment Approval Process work?

The process involves running a virus and malware scan on any attachments before they are opened or downloaded. This can be done manually by the user or automatically by security software. If any threats are detected, the attachment will be blocked or flagged for further action.

3. What types of attachments are checked during the Approval Process?

All types of attachments, including documents, images, videos, and executable files, are checked during the Approval Process. This is because any type of file can potentially contain viruses or malware.

4. Is the Approval Process 100% effective in preventing viruses and malware?

While the Attachment Approval Process is an important security measure, it is not 100% effective in preventing viruses and malware. New threats are constantly emerging, and some may not be caught by the virus and malware scan. It is important to also have other security measures in place, such as updating software and using a firewall.

5. Can the Approval Process be bypassed or disabled?

In most cases, the Attachment Approval Process cannot be bypassed or disabled by users. This is to ensure the safety and security of the computer system. However, in some cases, certain attachments may be exempt from the process, such as those from trusted sources or within a secure network.