New Laptop Has Frequent USB Glitches

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
Hornbein
My month old laptop has recently developed frequent USB glitches. My mouse and audio interface connect via USB. About once a minute the connection fails for a few seconds.

I tried batteries in the mouse. Worse. I tried plugging the mouse and keyboard interface into the second USB port. Worse. I have Comodo malware detection software installed already. Now what?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why mess with it? Return it.

Try a different keyboard/mouse. In my experience USB and especially wireless ones are frequently glitchy.

Try a different mouse brand, too. I have a Logitech mouse that works on MacOS and Windows but not Linux. Before converting my laptop to Linux, I used the mouse on Windows with the laptop. After conversion, it never worked, so I know there's some incompatibility between the mouse and Linux.

It will connect then immediately disconnect no matter what I try. The only mouse that works is a wired one.

Sometimes, other devices using USB cause this, especially if you're using an extender that plugs into one port, but then you have a couple of drives or sticks attached to it.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Does it happens with 'wired' mouse and keyboard too?

And you're of course sure that all the relevant drivers are up to date....

I got a wired mouse and the glitches went away.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Just curious: is it possible that there was an another wireless mouse (or other appliance with similar, cheap transmitter?) nearby?

Maybe you can try a BT version, if wireless is desired.

Rive said:
Just curious: is it possible that there was an another wireless mouse (or other appliance with similar, cheap transmitter?) nearby?

Maybe you can try a BT version, if wireless is desired.
Nope, nothing else close by.

Hornbein said:
No phones?

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
No phones?
And related, you might look to see all the BT devices your phone finds. It's surprising - my neighbors car, my neighbors phones, my neighbors headphones, well, you get the idea.

berkeman said:
No phones?
Two smart phones nearby. I've been using the same setup for years with no trouble until now.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes berkeman
Hornbein said:
Equipments of the neighbourhood is out of transmitter range too?
Maybe they bought something new...