Is Gravity Considered a Dimension in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of gravity as a dimension and whether it is correct. The person asking the question saw a comment on YouTube about gravity being a dimension in addition to XYZTG, but is unsure about the validity of the source. The response points out that in quantum mechanics, gravity is not included in the Hamiltonian for an electromagnetic interaction, thus questioning the idea of gravity as a dimension. The speaker also emphasizes the importance of using valid sources for discussions and asks for the exact reference of the source in question. Finally, the person who asked the question acknowledges the response and thanks the speaker for their reply.
daytripper
Hey everyone. I was recently on youtube, looking at 4-d objects, when I came across a comment which caught my eye:

"You're forgetting Gravity. Without gravity there is no xyz and without two large bodies there is no concept of time. Therefore, gravity must be included as a dimension. They are known as XYZTG, and basic physics explains. However, quantum physics predicts that there my be more than that, probably even 11. I won't go into all of them but given enough time I guess I could do a few if you really want me to."

Ignoring any technical mistakes that he might have in his understanding, I'm curious if the underlying idea is correct. Is gravity a dimension?

Thank you.
-Tim

edit: This post possibly belongs in the string theory forum. If that's the case, sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
This makes no sense.

Look in QM. Write down the Hamiltonian for, say, an EM interaction. Where's gravity there? There isn't. Yet, I have no only space, but time incorporated in the Hamiltonian. Isn't this rather obvious and falsify what you read?

Now, whether gravity can "leak" into other higher dimension is a different matter, but that has nothing to do with gravity being a "dimension".

BTW, it is already difficult enough for us to tackle question based on valid sources. It is going to be ridiculous to entertain stuff you heard off YouTube and without giving us the exact source. We have no way to verify that you heard this right, or if the source is crackpottery. If you haven't been told already or haven't read my many comments on this, please provide the exact reference to the source that you wish to ask on. Without it, this whole thing can easily be a waste of time.

Zz.

Yea, that does seem kind of obvious now. I realize it's not a valid source, but it's something I read which got me thinking and after some thought, it seemed... plausible(?).
I copy and pasted what was said in full. I didn't know where to look to validate his thought, so I turned to you guys.
Thanks for the reply.
-Tim

What is meant by "gravity is a dimension"?

Gravity being a dimension means that it is considered as one of the fundamental aspects of the universe, just like space and time. It is a dimension in the sense that it affects the curvature of space-time, and therefore plays a crucial role in the behavior of objects in the universe.

How is gravity related to the concept of dimensions?

Gravity is related to the concept of dimensions because it is considered as the fourth dimension of space-time. It is often referred to as the "fabric of space-time" and is responsible for the bending and warping of space-time, which affects the motion of objects.

Is gravity the same as a physical dimension like length or width?

No, gravity is not the same as a physical dimension like length or width. It is a fundamental aspect of the universe that affects the behavior of objects, but it cannot be measured or described in the same way as physical dimensions. However, it is just as important in understanding the functioning of the universe.

Can gravity be experienced as a dimension?

Gravity cannot be experienced as a separate dimension like length or width. However, we can experience its effects as it is responsible for keeping us grounded on Earth and for the motion of objects in the universe. It is an essential aspect of our everyday lives, even though we may not think of it as a dimension.

What is the significance of understanding gravity as a dimension?

Understanding gravity as a dimension is significant because it allows us to better comprehend the functioning of the universe. It also helps us in making accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects in space, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in the field of physics.