Spotted! Our Neighborhood Bear | Photos

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation mainly revolved around sharing pictures of wildlife, specifically a bird and a bear, and discussing the quality of the pictures taken with different devices. The participants also talked about their love for bears and the potential danger they pose, as well as making connections to popular culture figures like Stephen Colbert. They also mentioned the possibility of hunting the bear, with one participant expressing concern for the bear's safety.
Dembadon
Gold Member
The following pictures were taken with my camera from the seat of my car this afternoon - about 200 yards down the road from our house. It waddled across the street about 30 feet in front of our car and I was able to get these three pictures after pulling over and fumbling to get my phone out of my pocket. You can't tell from the pictures, but we recognized it by the blue tag on its ear. It cruises our neighborhood regularly, but we've no idea if it is a male of female. Isn't s/he cute, though? :smile: I am bummed that we didn't get higher quality pictures.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Dembadon said:
I am bummed that we didn't get higher quality pictures.

But what can you expect of a iPhone 3GS at 3 megapixel and a piece of glass as lens?

Compare for instance this lynx taken with an old Panasonic FZ-18, a bridge camera at 18x zoom at maybe some 30 feet distance:

iyzya8.jpg

The size is reduced to 30%, the original size:

2s0zfd4.jpg

But the critical eye sees some flaws here, the rather strong noise in the back ground and the bokeh - background blur - is crap and distracting from the subject

here is an example of nice bokeh and no noise problem, but you'd have to invest some three time$$ more money for an entry level DSLR like the Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi) with EF 70-300mm IS USM lens (picture reduced to 25%):

oumlba.jpg

Last edited:
Andre said:
Dembadon said:
I am bummed that we didn't get higher quality pictures.

But what can you expect of a iPhone 3GS at 3 megapixel and a piece of glass as lens? ...

Oh, of course! I didn't mean to imply that I wished my phone would have produced a higher quality image, just that I wished we would have had a higher quality device in the first place. :smile:

By the way, the shots you posted are absolutely beautiful. Do you happen to know the species of the bird in your picture?

Ah, I expected a question of how I knew, which device you used for the picture. But that is registered in the Exif data of the picture, which can be read in many photoshop type programs.

The bird is a Chaffinch, rather common in Europe.

Kill it before it kills you!

What a cute bear :approve:!

Andre said:
Ah, I expected a question of how I knew, which device you used for the picture. But that is registered in the Exif data of the picture, which can be read in many photoshop type programs. ...

I, admittedly, was actually very curious to know the method that enabled you to so accurately discern the device I used! :biggrin:

MotoH said:
Kill it before it kills you!

Or, as Stephen Colbert would say, "I believe all God's creatures have a soul — except bears. Bears are actually Satan's children."

Another classic from Colbert; "[Bears are] giant, marauding, Godless killing machines."

Disclaimer: I love bears.

Dembadon said:
Or, as Stephen Colbert would say, "I believe all God's creatures have a soul — except bears. Bears are actually Satan's children."

Another classic from Colbert; "[Bears are] giant, marauding, Godless killing machines."

Disclaimer: I love bears.

I love bears too. And when you get the opportunity to see them live and in colour in their own habitat wandering about, it's very cool. I've seen a few bears in person that way while fishing in secluded mountain lakes in Jasper. I'll admit that, even at a safe distance, my heart still beat a bit quicker. I'm assuming that's an instinctive response to something that big and that dangerous.

On the subject of Colbert and bears, have you noticed that, while Colbert claims that bears are evil incarnate, he's simultaneously crowned one of his heroes, O'Reilly, "Papa Bear". Food for thought. :wink:

GeorginaS said:
I love bears too. And when you get the opportunity to see them live and in colour in their own habitat wandering about, it's very cool. I've seen a few bears in person that way while fishing in secluded mountain lakes in Jasper. I'll admit that, even at a safe distance, my heart still beat a bit quicker. I'm assuming that's an instinctive response to something that big and that dangerous.

I agree! Even though the bears where I live are not considered to be carnivorous, in some areas of the globe we are still beneath them on the food chain; physiological responses that encourage one to "stay away" are completely logical.

GeorginaS said:
On the subject of Colbert and bears, have you noticed that, while Colbert claims that bears are evil incarnate, he's simultaneously crowned one of his heroes, O'Reilly, "Papa Bear". Food for thought. :wink:

Yes! What a wily correlation. It went unmentioned in my previous post that I also love Mr. Colbert. Thank you for illuminating yet another facet of his awesomeness. :smile:

Nice neighbor! I have to look for tracks down near the stream to see if my bear is still around. I know he/she was around a while back because it ripped the suet-feeders off the eaves in front of the house and ate all the fat. They are square cages made of plastic-coated welded wire and are very sturdy, though not built to keep bears out. I had to buy new ones to keep the birds happy. I have a neighbor who likes to hunt for bear over bait, and I have NOT told him about the bear on my property. He and his sons can hunt deer here if they want, but I'd be pretty ticked if they shot the bear.

What type of bear is spotted in the neighborhood?

The type of bear that is spotted in the neighborhood is most likely a black bear. Black bears are the most common type of bear in North America and are known to be adaptable to living in urban areas.

Are black bears dangerous to humans?

While black bears are generally shy and try to avoid humans, they can still be dangerous if they feel threatened or if they have become accustomed to humans and associate them with food. It is important to never approach a black bear and to give them plenty of space if you encounter one in the wild or in your neighborhood.

What should I do if I see a black bear in my neighborhood?

If you see a black bear in your neighborhood, it is important to stay calm and slowly back away from the bear. Do not make any sudden movements or loud noises. Make sure to give the bear plenty of space and do not try to feed or approach it. If the bear becomes aggressive or starts to approach you, make yourself look as large as possible and make loud noises to scare it away.

How can I prevent black bears from coming into my neighborhood?

To prevent black bears from coming into your neighborhood, it is important to secure all sources of food and garbage. This includes keeping trash cans in a secure area or using bear-proof trash cans, not leaving pet food outside, and keeping grills and bird feeders clean. It is also important to never intentionally feed or approach black bears.

What should I do if I encounter a black bear while hiking or camping?

If you encounter a black bear while hiking or camping, it is important to stay calm and slowly back away from the bear. Do not run or climb a tree, as black bears are excellent climbers. If the bear continues to approach you, make yourself look large and make loud noises to scare it away. It is also important to never approach or feed a black bear while hiking or camping.