Looking for information about axions.

• Thread starter Jodo Kast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of axions, a theoretical particle that may be related to dark matter. The individual was looking for a book written for non-scientists that would provide details about axions, but was unsure of their origins and why they have been theorized. They were also surprised to learn about other theoretical particles, such as the Majorana neutrino, and began to question the simplicity of particle physics. In response, a link was provided to an introductory article on axions and the conversation ended with a comment on the complexity of theoretical particles.
Jodo Kast
I'm looking for a book written for non-scientists that has details about axions. As far as I know, they are particles that have been theorized and not experimentally detected. I'm not really sure why they have been theorized other than that they might be dark matter.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt if anyone has written a book on this subject. If you google "axion" you will get a lot of material, including some historical background, as well as implications for dark matter. This may be enough.

mathman said:
I doubt if anyone has written a book on this subject. If you google "axion" you will get a lot of material, including some historical background, as well as implications for dark matter. This may be enough.

I also doubt it, but it's possible. I'm curious about them for a couple of reasons. Typically, theorized particles have been discovered. Thus, it is likely that the axion does exist. I have a very poor understanding of why axions were theorized, much unlike other particles, such as the neutrino. Also, axions came out of nowhere (from my point of view). I didn't hear of them until 2009. They aren't mentioned in The New Cosmic Onion or The Particle Odyssey. And that does make some sense, since those books only cover what we actually know for sure.

Jodo Kast said:
Typically, theorized particles have been discovered.

You couldn't be more wrong. Most have not been discovered, and there are so many mutually contradictory theories out there that it's safe to say most will never be discovered.

You probably want to look at Pierre Sikivie's http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9506229". That's the most elementary introduction out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
You couldn't be more wrong. Most have not been discovered, and there are so many mutually contradictory theories out there that it's safe to say most will never be discovered.

You probably want to look at Pierre Sikivie's http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9506229". That's the most elementary introduction out there.

Thanks for the link; looks like a good read. If most particles that have been theorized have not been discovered, then there are many more particles than I am aware of. The books I have tend to be very realistic and list what particles have been discovered, which led me to believe that theoreticians have been doing a very good job. Particle physics seems very simple to me, with a small set of fermions (which lead to baryons) and bosons (which lead to mesons). Now that I know about axions and Majorana neutrinos (as opposed to the familiar Dirac neutrinos), I'm beginning to suspect things are a lot more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jodo Kast said:
Thanks for the link; looks like a good read. If most particles that have been theorized have not been discovered, then there are many more particles than I am aware of. The books I have tend to be very realistic and list what particles have been discovered, which led me to believe that theoreticians have been doing a very good job. Particle physics seems very simple to me, with a small set of fermions (which lead to baryons) and bosons (which lead to mesons). Now that I know about axions and Majorana neutrinos (as opposed to the familiar Dirac neutrinos), I'm beginning to suspect things are a lot more complicated.

yes of course it seems simple, the winner writes the history..

What are axions?

Axions are hypothetical particles that were proposed in the 1970s to solve a problem in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are thought to be very light and have no electric charge, making them difficult to detect.

What is the current research on axions?

Scientists are currently conducting experiments to try to detect axions and confirm their existence. They are also exploring the potential implications of axions for various theories, such as dark matter and the origin of the universe.

How do axions relate to dark matter?

Some theories suggest that axions could make up a portion of dark matter, the mysterious substance that makes up about 85% of the matter in the universe. However, this has not been confirmed and is still a topic of research.

What methods are being used to search for axions?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to search for axions, including particle accelerators, telescopes, and laboratory experiments. These methods involve looking for the effects of axions on other particles or using specialized equipment to directly detect them.

What are the potential applications of axion research?

If axions are found to exist, they could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies. For example, they could be used to develop new forms of energy or improve our understanding of fundamental physics principles.