Constant Power to a Varying Load

In summary: I'm a little concerned about the output of the exp amp. it looks like it might go positive rather than negative with a high input voltage.
fobos3
Is there a way to deliver constant power to a varying load. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you elaborate please - the question doesn't seem to make much sense.

russ_watters said:
Could you elaborate please - the question doesn't seem to make much sense.

Say you have a resistor with resistance R. What I want is to deliver say 1W to the resistor no matter it's resistance.

Monitor the voltage across the resistor and the current through it. In a microcontroller multiply the voltage and current and compare to desired power setting. Adjust the voltage until calculated power matches the desired power.

I've attached my idea.

U2 is a differential amplifier with gain 1. U1 is there to make sure the voltage at + and - is the same.

Attachments

• Constant_Power.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
fobos3 said:
I've attached my idea.

U2 is a differential amplifier with gain 1. U1 is there to make sure the voltage at + and - is the same.

the idea is good. i think R1 should be lower resistance and U2 gain be larger.

what do you plan to use for your analog multiplyer? you might want to look into something from Analog Devices, say the AD633 or AD734 or something like that. you can get some of them pretty cheap ($8) at Digi-Key.

you also want to have some pot in there to set and control the power.

rbj said:
the idea is good. i think R1 should be lower resistance and U2 gain be larger.

what do you plan to use for your analog multiplyer? you might want to look into something from Analog Devices, say the AD633 or AD734 or something like that. you can get some of them pretty cheap ($8) at Digi-Key.

you also want to have some pot in there to set and control the power.

I was thinking with two log amplifiers then a summing amplifier and exponential amplifier.

[tex]e^{\ln a+\ln b}=ab[/tex]

With something like LM324(quad) which costs 10p(£0.10). I'll post a circuit tomorrow because I'm too tired now.

P.S.
I just found that it costs $1.69 on Radio Shack. You've got to love the uni labs. :biggrin:

Last edited:
fobos3 said:
I was thinking with two log amplifiers then a summing amplifier and exponential amplifier.

[tex]e^{\ln a+\ln b}=ab[/tex]

With something like LM324(quad) which costs 10p(£0.10).

you still need a logarithmic element (actually 3 of them). run-of-the-mill diodes don't follow the curve good enough. what do you plan to use for that?

rbj said:
you still need a logarithmic element (actually 3 of them). run-of-the-mill diodes don't follow the curve good enough. what do you plan to use for that?

Transistors. Here's my final schematics. I haven't calculated the values of the resistors so all are 10k.

Edit
Still need to figure out the gain for each op amp taking into account the offset voltage. In particular the log amplifiers.

Attachments

• Constant_Power.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
fobos3 said:
Transistors.

rots 'o ruk finding transistors true enough to the Ebers-Moll equation to be accurate loggers. this is how Analog Devices makes their money, by somehow designing accurate transistors for their logging functions.

Here's my final schematics. I haven't calculated the values of the resistors so all are 10k.

Edit
Still need to figure out the gain for each op amp taking into account the offset voltage. In particular the log amplifiers.

also, make sure you're getting your polarities right. it looks like you are (with the inverting summing amp), but I'm a little concerned about the output of the exp amp.

1. What is constant power to a varying load?

Constant power to a varying load refers to a power supply or system that maintains a consistent output power level to a load that may change or vary over time.

2. How does constant power to a varying load work?

Constant power to a varying load typically involves a feedback control mechanism that adjusts the power output to compensate for changes in the load. This can involve varying the voltage, current, or frequency of the power supply.

3. What are the benefits of using constant power to a varying load?

Using constant power to a varying load allows for more stable and reliable operation of electronic devices that may experience changes in their power requirements. It can also improve energy efficiency by only supplying the necessary amount of power to the load.

4. What types of systems use constant power to a varying load?

Constant power to a varying load is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and other portable devices. It is also used in larger systems such as power grids and renewable energy sources.

5. Are there any limitations to constant power to a varying load?

While constant power to a varying load can provide stable and efficient power, it may not be suitable for all applications. Some systems may require a constant voltage or current instead of constant power, and in these cases, a different type of power supply may be needed.