Linear Algebra for Quantum Mechanics (QM) Preparation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a suitable advanced linear algebra text for someone who is taking a QM course next semester. Recommendations are given for books that cover important concepts and ideas in linear algebra and their applications in QM. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding linear operators and matrices in relation to QM. Finally, a book specifically dedicated to the topics is suggested.
ralqs
I just finished a course on linear algebra. The class was quite slow, and not much material was covered (essentially going as far as diagonalization w/ some applications). Seeing as I will be taking a QM course next semester, I thought that it might be a good idea to advance myself on the math behind QM over the summer. Could someone recommend a suitable advanced linear algebra text that would be appropriate for QM?

Physics news on Phys.org
ralqs said:
I just finished a course on linear algebra. The class was quite slow, and not much material was covered (essentially going as far as diagonalization w/ some applications). Seeing as I will be taking a QM course next semester, I thought that it might be a good idea to advance myself on the math behind QM over the summer. Could someone recommend a suitable advanced linear algebra text that would be appropriate for QM?

Try the first chapter of "Principles of Quantum Mechanics - R. Shankar" called Mathematical introduction,and you will know exactly what you are going to learn

I think Axler is excellent for QM. You should stay away from books that delay the introduction of linear transformations/operators instead of introducing them early. For example, Anton defines them around page 300, which is just ridiculous. Make sure you understand the relationship between linear operators and matrices (i.e. this) perfectly.

totentanz said:
Try the first chapter of "Principles of Quantum Mechanics - R. Shankar" called Mathematical introduction,and you will know exactly what you are going to learn
I skimmed through it, and although it seems good, I'm always a little suspect of physics texts that try to teach math. My experience is that they are generally rushed, and important ideas and concepts are missed in the process. Would you happen to know a book exclusively dedicated to the same topics, but more thorough?

Fredrik said:
I think Axler is excellent for QM. You should stay away from books that delay the introduction of linear transformations/operators instead of introducing them early. For example, Anton defines them around page 300, which is just ridiculous. Make sure you understand the relationship between linear operators and matrices (i.e. this) perfectly.
That stuff I know already. My linear prof had promised, in the beginning of the course, to discuss infinite-dimensional vector spaces, as well as certain types of matrices and their properties (ie hermitean, adjoint, etc.)

ralqs said:
I skimmed through it, and although it seems good, I'm always a little suspect of physics texts that try to teach math. My experience is that they are generally rushed, and important ideas and concepts are missed in the process. Would you happen to know a book exclusively dedicated to the same topics, but more thorough?

The book by https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486453278/?tag=pfamazon01-20 may be what you're looking for. At least you'll find links to many similar books on that page.

You could also try a math methods book like https://www.amazon.com/dp/048667164X/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Or the many books aimed at https://www.amazon.com/dp/048667164X/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
ralqs said:

That stuff I know already. My linear prof had promised, in the beginning of the course, to discuss infinite-dimensional vector spaces, as well as certain types of matrices and their properties (ie hermitean, adjoint, etc.)

So try Dirac's book...I think in QM you will ned most Kets and Bras Algabra

ralqs said:

Try http://de.arxiv.org/abs/0810.1019

1. What is the importance of linear algebra in quantum mechanics preparation?

Linear algebra is the mathematical language used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. It is a fundamental tool in understanding the principles and calculations involved in quantum mechanics.

2. What are the key concepts of linear algebra that are essential for quantum mechanics preparation?

The key concepts include vector spaces, matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, unitary transformations, and inner product spaces. These concepts are used to represent and manipulate quantum states and operators.

3. How does linear algebra relate to the concept of quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is the principle that a quantum system can exist in multiple states at the same time. This can be represented using linear algebra by combining two or more quantum states through the use of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

4. Can linear algebra be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

Yes, linear algebra is a powerful tool for solving problems in quantum mechanics. It allows for the manipulation and transformation of quantum states and operators, making it possible to calculate probabilities and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What are some resources for learning linear algebra for quantum mechanics preparation?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and video lectures available for learning linear algebra for quantum mechanics. Some recommended resources include "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David Miller.