What are some recommended second texts for self-studying linear algebra?

In summary, the free Linear Algebra Done Wrong by Treil is a good choice for a second text on linear algebra.
Mondayman
Hello folks,

I am currently finishing up a class on linear algebra, covering vector spaces, bases and dimension, geometry of n-dimensional space, linear transformations and systems of linear equations. I am only getting accustomed to proof writing for the first time in this course. However, I am enjoying the material and the problems, and would like to study more. I am wondering what a good second text would be? The options have considered so far are Axler, Friedberg/Insel, Hoffman/Kunze. Which text is the more gentle one? I will be self studying until they offer the second course, probably next year. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
MM

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only familiar with Axler but I think it should be suitable for you. It's rigorous, but pretty gentle and good if you're just getting started with proof-based mathematics. Just make sure you do plenty of exercises.

One idiosyncrasy of Axler is his aversion to determinants. He does as much as he can without determinants (including a nice argument for the existence of eigenvalues) and doesn't even define them until the end of the book iirc, so you should probably find another source to read about them.

Likes Mondayman and member 587159
Of those three, Friedberg-Insel is the most gentle, with the most explanations and examples. Hoffman Kunze is the most abstract probably, but more detailed than Axler. For self study I would recommend Friedberg and Insel, although Treil is also excellent.

Likes Mondayman
I think I'll work through Friedberg first, then check out the others. I'm a physics student still getting acquainted with proofs. It's fun, but it's not easy.

I also have Linear Algebra and Group Theory by Smirnov, and A Vector Space Approach to Geometry by Hausner. Both look fun.

here also is a free set of notes from one of my summer courses in the subject, meant as a second course. they are so short, some 70 pages, that they cannot be that gentle. but they may offer some insights just by reading the statements of the theorems as opposed to the proofs, and some of the possibly smart alecky comments. There are also three or four other linear algebra note sets on that same webpage.

oh, and I love smirnov's book on linear algebra, sooo clear. it was a reference in my course.

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/4050sum08.pdf

Likes Mondayman

1. What is the purpose of a second book on linear algebra?

A second book on linear algebra is typically intended for students who have already completed a first course in linear algebra and are looking to deepen their understanding of the subject. It may cover more advanced topics or provide a more rigorous treatment of the material.

2. What topics are typically covered in a second book on linear algebra?

Topics covered in a second book on linear algebra may include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, matrix factorizations, and applications of linear algebra to other fields such as computer science and economics.

3. Is a second book on linear algebra necessary for understanding the subject?

No, a second book on linear algebra is not necessary for understanding the subject. A well-taught first course in linear algebra should provide a solid foundation for understanding the basics of the subject. However, a second book can be helpful for students who want to delve deeper into the subject or pursue further studies in mathematics or related fields.

4. How does a second book on linear algebra differ from a first course?

A second book on linear algebra typically assumes a higher level of mathematical maturity and may cover more advanced topics in greater detail. It may also include more challenging exercises and proofs, as well as applications to other areas of mathematics and science.

5. Can a second book on linear algebra be used as a reference for self-study?

Yes, a second book on linear algebra can be a valuable resource for self-study. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the basics before attempting to use a second book, as it may assume prior knowledge from a first course in linear algebra.