What kind of product denotes :

• Thread starter jure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses a product between tensors in the context of fluid dynamics. The product is denoted by the symbol ":" and involves a matrix and a tensor resulting in a vector. Possible notations for this product are a double contraction or something like (S∇)⋅I with component form v_k = S_{ij} \frac{\partial I_{ik}}{\partial x_j}. The conversation also includes a question on which indices to sum over in this product.
jure
Hi,
I'm reading a book about fluid dynamics and I found some strange product between tensors. It's written like this: v=S:∇I , where S and I are matrices and v is a vector. Symbol : usually denotes Frobenius inner product. In this case we have a product of a matrix with a tensor of rank 3 and the result is vector - so it's not classical Frobenius product.
I would like to know what kind of product this is (especially useful would be index notation).
Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jure said:
Hi,
I'm reading a book about fluid dynamics and I found some strange product between tensors. It's written like this: v=S:∇I , where S and I are matrices and v is a vector. Symbol : usually denotes Frobenius inner product. In this case we have a product of a matrix with a tensor of rank 3 and the result is vector - so it's not classical Frobenius product.
I would like to know what kind of product this is (especially useful would be index notation).
Thanks for help.

I would guess a double contraction, which would turn a rank 5 tensor into a vector:[tex]
v_i = S_{ijk} \frac{\partial I_k}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

pasmith said:
I would guess a double contraction, which would turn a rank 5 tensor into a vector:[tex]
v_i = S_{ijk} \frac{\partial I_k}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

I initially guessed something like this too, but then thought that

jure said:
S and I are matrices and v is a vector

might indicate that S only has two indices.

Maybe something like ##\left( S \cdot \nabla \right) \cdot I## with component form

$$v_k = S_{ij} \frac{\partial I_{ik}}{\partial x_j}?$$

George Jones said:
Maybe something like ##\left( S \cdot \nabla \right) \cdot I## with component form

$$v_k = S_{ij} \frac{\partial I_{ik}}{\partial x_j}?$$

Yes, something like this. I and S only have 2 indices. How do you know over which indices to sum? Why wouldn't you sum over i and k instead of i and j?

1. What kind of product denotes a high quality?

A high quality product is typically denoted by its durability, performance, and overall satisfaction from customers. It may also be associated with well-known and reputable brands.

2. What kind of product denotes sustainability?

A sustainable product is one that is produced using environmentally friendly materials and methods, and has a minimal impact on the environment throughout its lifecycle. It may also be certified by organizations such as Fair Trade or USDA Organic.

3. What kind of product denotes luxury?

Luxury products are often associated with high-end, expensive brands and materials. They may also have unique and exclusive designs, limited availability, and exceptional quality.

4. What kind of product denotes functionality?

A functional product is one that serves its intended purpose efficiently and effectively. It may also have additional features and capabilities that enhance its usability and convenience.

5. What kind of product denotes innovation?

Innovative products are often characterized by their unique and creative designs, advanced technology, and ability to solve problems or meet needs in new and improved ways. They may also be awarded patents or recognized for their contributions to the industry.