Newton universal gravitation formula, how f is dimensionally derived?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dimensions of the gravitational constant in relation to the equation F = G*m1*m2/r^2. The conversation notes that the dimensions of the constant include time, and there is a discussion on how to verify the equation's dimensional correctness. It is mentioned that the dimension of G is defined based on the equation, so there is no need to check it for correctness.
yeoG
If f dimensions are ml/t^2, where does t^2 come from in the equation of
F = G*m1*m2/r^2 where I believe G to be a constant, m1 and m2 to be masses and r to be the distance between two masses - so length. To dimensionally analyse this then, where would the dimension time come from if I were to check if the equation is dimensionally correct and I can't see where it comes from? I do think that it may come from G but i have seen various answers on what the dimensions of G are so I can't cancel the dimensions out to check if it is the same as F? Help would be appreciated, many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to Newton

F=ma since acceleration has units l t-2 the units of force must be m Lt-2.

Using that you can figure out the units G needs to make the given equation dimensionally correct. Time is factored into the constant.

Integral said:
According to Newton

F=ma since acceleration has units l t-2 the units of force must be m Lt-2.

Using that you can figure out the units G needs to make the given equation dimensionally correct. Time is factored into the constant.

Hi thanks for the help however I focusing on F instead of G giving that G = N m^2 kg^-2 or what G is?

yeoG said:
It says N (m/kg)^2
so that in dimensions are m x l/t^2(N = Newton = kg x m/s^2??)l^2/M^2)(m/kg^2)
so that would mean F = m x l/t^2 l^2/m^2/l^2 how would this cancel out to F which is ml/t^2? Have I got this concept wrong or is there a mistake I am making?

Isolating, ## G= F ## ##
r^2 / (m_1 m_2 )##. You can tell right away the units of G.

ah I think I understand so by working out the dimensions of G you can show that F must equal to Gxm1xm2 because it will balance the equation to = F?

yeoG said:
so by working out the dimensions of G you can show that F must equal to Gxm1xm2
No. Observation shows that F equals Gxm1xm2/r^2. The dimension of G are defined based on this. So there is no point in checking if the equation is dimensionally correct, because it was defined to be correct.

1. What is Newton's universal gravitation formula?

The universal gravitation formula, also known as Newton's law of gravitation, is a mathematical equation that describes the force of gravitational attraction between two objects. It states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered the universal gravitation formula?

The universal gravitation formula was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He developed this formula based on his observations of the motion of celestial bodies and his theory of gravity.

3. How is the f in the formula dimensionally derived?

The f in the universal gravitation formula represents the force of gravitational attraction between two objects. It is derived from the fundamental units of mass, length, and time. The dimension of force is mass times length divided by time squared, which is consistent with the dimension of f in the universal gravitation formula.

4. What is the significance of the universal gravitation formula?

The universal gravitation formula is significant because it explains the force that holds together the entire universe. It has been tested and proven to accurately describe the motion of objects in space, from planets orbiting around the sun to galaxies interacting with each other.

5. How is the universal gravitation formula used in real-world applications?

The universal gravitation formula has many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, space exploration, and engineering. It is used to calculate the trajectory of spacecraft, predict the motion of celestial bodies, and design structures that can withstand gravitational forces. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of our solar system and the universe as a whole.