Classifying Junk Food - What's Your Favorite?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of food as junk food and the speaker's favorite junk foods. They also mention hiring chefs and comparing them to a mother's cooking, as well as sharing their favorite junk food choices. Overall, the conversation shows a preference for indulgent and high-calorie foods.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How is food classified as junk food? what is your favorite

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
How is food classified as junk food? what is your favorite
I don't really know what junk food is. For instance, a good meal might be something like:
1st Course: Amuse Bouche. Cornets of Salmon Tartare served in savory cones.
2nd Course: Appetizer. Miniature Parmesan Baskets filled with an herbed Goat Cheese Mousse.
3rd Course: Salad. Mesclun Salad Greens with Lemon Vinaigrette.
4th Course: Soup. Shrimp Bisque Flambe.
5th Course: Sorbet. Grapefruit and Mint Sorbet.
6th Course: Main Entree. Baked Salmon Roulade served on a Potato Galette with Tomato Beurre Blanc Sauce and Asparagus and Carrot julienne.
7th Course: Dessert. Grand Marnier Souffles. (Individual souflles in ramekins served over a lacy paper doily)
8th Course: Lattes served with a Rosemary Cashew Biscotti.
I think it's called junk food if it's served without the doily.

Edit: My wife informs me that junk food means 4 stars or less.

Last edited:
I think junk food is the stuff served on those Chinese sailing vessels with the square sails.

jimmysnyder said:
Edit: My wife informs me that junk food means 4 stars or less.

Just ask your mother who makes 5 star foods and hire him to make dinners.

misgfool said:
Just ask your mother who makes 5 star foods and hire him to make dinners.
Ah yes, where can you get better meals than at mom's? We hired Gaston several years ago and are quite happy with him. But how can he compete with Anatole, mom's chef?

I always think this relation in nutritional quality holds
fast food >= junk food
with mostly '=' holding.
In that department my favorites would be hamburger, fries and the Arab shawarma.

Did you know you guys are a sandwich short of a picnic :smile:

jimmysnyder said:
Ah yes, where can you get better meals than at mom's? We hired Gaston several years ago and are quite happy with him. But how can he compete with Anatole, mom's chef?

I thought you still had Ray "Ragtag" Barker. What happened to him?

wolram said:
Did you know you guys are a sandwich short of a picnic :smile:
I'll play. My favorite junk-food is salty, greasy, rippled potato chips loaded with my wife's home-made clam-dip. Gotta use lots of whole baby clams and just the right amount of lemon juice. It's pretty high-calorie stuff, so she makes it maybe 2x/yr, and then it's when we're having company so we won't eat it all by ourselves.

My favorite junk food is {insert drum roll} Chocolate Ice Cream !

Cheese Cake. But I'll never call it junk to its face. I'd call my girlfriend fat first. More cheese cake for me that way.

Related to Classifying Junk Food - What's Your Favorite?

What is junk food?

Junk food is a term used to describe foods that are high in calories, sugar, fat, and/or salt, but low in nutritional value. These foods often include chips, candy, cookies, sodas, and fast food.

Why is it important to classify junk food?

Classifying junk food can help individuals make more informed choices about their diet and overall health. By understanding the nutritional value of various foods, individuals can make healthier choices and limit their intake of junk food.

What are the criteria for classifying junk food?

The criteria for classifying junk food include high levels of calories, sugar, fat, and/or salt, as well as low levels of essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

Is all junk food unhealthy?

Not all junk food is necessarily unhealthy. Some junk foods, such as dark chocolate or popcorn, may have some nutritional value. However, these foods should still be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

What are some alternatives to junk food?

Some alternatives to junk food include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. These foods are typically higher in essential nutrients and can provide more sustained energy compared to junk food.