Attitude Control of Flying Object using Gyroscopic Coupling

• Thread starter eichfeld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary: It's the torque that the rotational axis of the inertial frame experiences due to the presence of the gyroscopic moment of inertia.What is your question?
eichfeld
I am not really solving an exercise for homework so hopefully this general forum is OK for my question.

For my thesis, what is attitude control of a flying object with a reaction wheel, I am learning the basics from this NASA Technical Report:

http://www.hot.ee/ronn/design_glob_anal_ spacecraft _att_control.pdf (I mirrored it because currently NASA website publishing this is down)

Things are quite clear to me until eq (22) in PDF page 20, where the 3rd term is "gyroscopic coupling". I am unfamiliar with this phenomenon and can not grasp it from the equation. Could someone please explain me the meaning of this term? I do not see how can change of angular velocity depend only in the current velocity. Is it somehow the same thing as precession?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
eichfeld said:
Things are quite clear to me until eq (22) in PDF page 20, where the 3rd term is "gyroscopic coupling". [...] Is it somehow the same thing as precession?

I did some googling, and I did get the impression is that the expression 'gyroscopic coupling' is used for the case of experiencing consequences of gyroscopic precession.

If so then the most extreme example of gyroscopic coupling was the flight behavior of aircrafts with a single rotatory engine. With a rotatory engine the cylinders are arranged radially, and the entire motorblock is rotating. That was good for cooling the cilinders, but it was a huge rotating mass in a relatively light aircraft. If the pilot tried to pitch up or down, the aircraft wouldn't pitch but yaw, and vice versa. To fly those aircrafts the pilot's had to anticipate the gyroscopic precession and compensate for it in advance.

Cleonis

For a helicopter, the pilots control inputs are moved about 90 degrees out of phase, to compensate for gyroscopic precession. A roll torque results in a pitch response and vice versa. Yaw isn't an an issue since it shares an axis with the main rotor.

Hi, guys, sorry for the side orientated question,
but i am also confused exploring the gyroscope theory.
Could someone point out a web link with easy to understand explanations
of gyro basics, in particular forced precession equations and gyroscopic moment.

regards

Ok. I seem to understand what the term is. So in this case the Wa is velocity of precession, h is the moment of impuls percessing and the product without inertia term is the torque of precession?

Usually in textbooks they explain precession by applying torque to L and getting W from it, but it should also vice-versa, right?

eichfeld said:
Ok. I seem to understand what the term is. So in this case the Wa is velocity of precession, h is the moment of impuls percessing and the product without inertia term is the torque of precession?

Usually in textbooks they explain precession by applying torque to L and getting W from it, but it should also vice-versa, right?

What is your question? What you wrote is not clear enough.

Preferably, if your question is about a mathematical formula, enter the formula in LaTeX markup.
Check out the https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf"

Cleonis

Last edited by a moderator:
This term arises because angular momentum is expressed in the body frame. This is of course a rotating reference frame, so the rotational equations of motion need to reflect this fact. Other names for this term include "inertial torque" (c.f. "inertial force", the fictitious forces due to frame acceleration/rotation) and "Euler torque" (c.f. the terms in Euler's equations).

An easy way to see how this term arises is to use the identity that relates the time derivative of a vector quantity q as ascertained from the perspective of an inertial frame versus a rotating frame:

[tex]\left(\frac {d\mathbf q}{dt}\right)_{\text{inertial}} =
\left(\frac {d\mathbf q}{dt}\right)_{\text{rotating}} +\,\,
\boldsymbol{\omega}\times \mathbf q[/tex]

This is true for all vector quantities, not just position. So, apply it to angular momentum.

[tex]\left(\frac {d\mathbf L}{dt}\right)_{\text{rotating}} =
\left(\frac {d\mathbf L}{dt}\right)_{\text{inertial}} -\,\,
\boldsymbol{\omega}\times \mathbf L[/tex]

The first term on the left hand side is simply the external torque. The second term is gyroscopic / inertial / Euler torque.

1. What is the purpose of attitude control in flying objects?

Attitude control is necessary to maintain the stability and orientation of a flying object. It allows the object to be maneuvered and controlled in the desired direction, and prevents it from tumbling or spinning out of control.

2. How does gyroscopic coupling play a role in attitude control?

Gyroscopic coupling is the phenomenon where a spinning object resists any changes in its axis of rotation. In flying objects, this resistance can be used to control the attitude by changing the orientation of the spinning gyroscope, causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction.

3. What are the main components involved in attitude control using gyroscopic coupling?

The main components include a gyroscope, which is a spinning wheel or disc, and a motor or actuator that can change the orientation of the gyroscope. Sensors are also used to detect the current attitude of the flying object, and a control system is responsible for processing this information and sending commands to the motor.

4. What are the advantages of using gyroscopic coupling for attitude control?

Gyroscopic coupling is a simple and effective method for attitude control, requiring minimal power and maintenance. It also allows for precise and quick adjustments to the attitude of the flying object, making it suitable for use in various applications such as satellites, rockets, and aircraft.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using gyroscopic coupling for attitude control?

One limitation is that gyroscopic coupling is only effective for controlling the pitch and yaw of a flying object, and not the roll. Additionally, external forces such as wind or turbulence can affect the performance of the gyroscope, making it important to have a robust control system in place to compensate for these disturbances.