Chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation is discussing the source of the 1/2 in the third image. It is explained that by setting mu-up total equal to mu-down total, the equation can be rewritten to show that n-up is equal to (1/2)n(0)*exp(2mB/tau). The origin of the 1/2 is found by equating the concentrations and solving for B = 0.
Shackleford
I don't know where the 1/2 comes from in the third image.

If I set mu total(up) = mu total up (0), I don't get the 1/2. I'm missing something very simple here.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110325_214532.jpg?t=1301107797

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110325_214447.jpg?t=1301107813

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110325_214505.jpg?t=1301107827

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you equate mu-up total and mu-down total, you get n-up = exp(2mB/tau)*n-down.

Then, solve for B = 0, you get that the concentrations are equal. This allows you to rewrite n(0)= 2n-down, which implies (1/2)n(0) = n-down. Putting this into the original equation yields n-up = (1/2)n(0)*exp(2mB/tau).

1. What is the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles?

The chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles refers to the amount of energy required to add or remove a particle from a system of magnetic particles in a magnetic field.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles?

The magnetic field can influence the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles by altering the energy levels of the particles and their interactions with each other.

3. What factors can affect the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles in a magnetic field?

The chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles can be affected by various factors such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the particles, and the temperature of the system.

4. How is the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles measured?

The chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles can be measured through techniques such as magnetic force microscopy, magnetization measurements, and magnetic resonance imaging.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles in a magnetic field?

Understanding the chemical potential of mobile magnetic particles in a magnetic field has important practical applications in fields such as biomedicine, materials science, and environmental remediation. It can help in the development of new magnetic materials, drug delivery systems, and waste water treatment methods.