Verify Summation in Christoffel Symbols Formula

• Thread starter space-time
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for Christoffel symbols involves summing over the index k, as indicated by the presence of k in the right-hand side of the equation. This is due to the Einstein summation convention, which is fully utilized in this formula. It is important to pay attention to the indices on both sides of the equation to determine which variables should be summed over.
space-time
In the formula for Christoffel symbols:

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]mij= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]gmk[(∂gki/∂xj) + (∂gjk/∂xi) - (∂gij/∂xk)

you do sum over k right?

I know this probably seems like a rather "noob-like" question and I know about Einstein summation convention. I am just asking because with previous Christoffel symbols I derived, they were in simple coordinate systems such as spherical and cylindrical, so I was just able to set k = m due to the fact that the metric tensors only had non-zero diagonal components.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you sum over k.
That's because you raised the m index in this way, and raising an index work like that.
Further, once the Einstein convention is used, it is fully used.
You also forgot a closing square bracket.

A quick way to figure out whether something should be summed over is to look at the indices that appear on the left and the right hand sides. On the left there is m,i,j, on the right there is m,k,i,j so the k's must have been summed over or else they would appear on the left.

What is the purpose of verifying summation in Christoffel symbols formula?

The purpose of verifying summation in Christoffel symbols formula is to ensure the correctness of calculations and equations in the field of differential geometry. The formula is used to calculate the covariant derivative of a vector field on a curved manifold.

How is summation performed in Christoffel symbols formula?

In the Christoffel symbols formula, summation is performed by summing over the repeated indices in the equation. This is known as the Einstein summation convention, where repeated indices imply summation over all possible values of that index.

What does the Christoffel symbols formula represent?

The Christoffel symbols formula represents the connection coefficients, also known as the Christoffel symbols, which describe how a vector field changes as it is transported along a curved manifold. They are used to define the covariant derivative and are essential in studying the geometry of curved spaces.

Why is it important to verify summation in the Christoffel symbols formula?

Verifying summation in the Christoffel symbols formula is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of calculations in differential geometry. Any errors in the summation process can lead to incorrect results and conclusions.

What are some common mistakes to watch out for when verifying summation in the Christoffel symbols formula?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when verifying summation in the Christoffel symbols formula include incorrect placement of indices, missing or extra terms in the summation, and incorrect use of the Einstein summation convention. It is important to carefully check all steps and make sure they are performed correctly to avoid these mistakes.