Torque Calculation for Robotic Arm

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of servos in creating a robotic arm and the challenges of determining the appropriate max weight and lever arm length. The individual is familiar with static torque calculations but unsure about dynamic and rotational torque, as the servo motors do not come with data on acceleration. The conversation also mentions using a Hitec 805bb servo with a maximum torque of 24.7 kg/cm and 1.78 revs per second, but acknowledges the need to slow down the servos. It is emphasized that calculating for peak torque is crucial in properly sizing the motor, as it takes into account the torque required for acceleration and deceleration. Failure to do so may result in undersized motors, difficulty moving the load
caljuice
Hello,

I hope I'm posting in an appropriate section. I'm trying to make a robotic arm using servos, but I'm not too sure what the max weight and lever arm length I could use. I know how to do the static torque calculations, but not too sure with the dynamic and rotational torque as the motors don't come with any data on the accelerations of the motors.

The servo I'm using for the base is Hitec 805bb which has max torque of 24.7 kg/cm and 1.78 revs per second. Although I'll probably have to slow down the servos.

For example, if I assume the lever arm is weightless and I have a mass of 0.25 kg at the end of the lever arm and the servo attached to the other end, is there any way to calculate or ball park a safe lever arm length without knowing the acceleration?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You must calc for peak torque to properly size your motor.
Peak torque includes torque required for acceleration/deceleration.

If you do not do this, you may undersize your motor. You may not be able to move the load. You may be able to move it in a very erratic manner. You may not be able to maintain your positions.

1. How do you calculate torque for a robotic arm?

Torque for a robotic arm can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the pivot point to the point of application.

2. What units are used to measure torque for a robotic arm?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

3. What factors affect the torque required for a robotic arm?

The length and weight of the arm, as well as the weight of the objects being lifted, are all factors that can affect the torque required for a robotic arm.

4. How does the angle of the arm affect the torque calculation?

The angle of the arm can affect the torque calculation by changing the distance from the pivot point to the point of application of force.

5. What is the importance of calculating torque for a robotic arm?

Calculating torque is important for ensuring the arm has enough power to lift and manipulate objects effectively and to prevent damage or malfunction due to excessive force. It also helps in designing and optimizing the arm for specific tasks.