Simple circuit solving problem

• Engineering
  • Thread starter qpham26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the given figure shows a circuit with several components, including A, B, C, D, and E. By using the equations P = IV and KVL, it is determined that A and B are the source of power while D, E, and C are absorbing power. The power values for each component are also calculated, with PA = 60w, PB = 15w, PC = 25w, PD = 30w, and PE = 20w. It is concluded that the conservation of power is satisfied in this circuit.
qpham26

Homework Statement

For the figure:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/60194_493555593997294_154034279_n.jpg

a.Determine which components are absorbing power
and which are delivering power.

b. Is conservation of power satisfied? Explain your
answer.

Homework Equations

P = IV

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

First I go through the smaller right loop with D and E
use KVL I have VD = 10V

Use the bigger loop ABEC
-10V - 5V + VA + 3V = 0--->VA = 12V

Based on the current flow A and B are the source and the rest are absorbing power.
simultaneously solve for all the power:
PA = 60w
PB = 15w
PC = 25w
PD = 30w
PE = 20w

PA + PB = PC + PD + PE
=> so the conservation of power is satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

1. How do I solve a simple circuit problem?

To solve a simple circuit problem, you will need to use the principles of Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the current through the resistor multiplied by the resistance of the resistor. You will also need to use Kirchhoff's Laws, which state that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop is equal to the sum of voltage sources.

2. What is the first step in solving a simple circuit problem?

The first step is to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit, labeling all the components and their values. This will help you visualize the circuit and make it easier to apply the relevant equations.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance in a simple circuit?

To calculate the total resistance, you will need to use the formula R = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, ... Rn are the individual resistances in the circuit. If the resistors are connected in series, you can simply add their values. If they are connected in parallel, you will need to use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

4. How do I determine the current and voltage in a specific part of a simple circuit?

To determine the current and voltage in a specific part of a simple circuit, you can use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. You will need to apply these equations to the specific components and nodes in the circuit to solve for the desired values.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple circuit problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple circuit problem include using incorrect values for components, not properly labeling the circuit diagram, forgetting to include all components in your calculations, and not double-checking your work for accuracy. It is important to carefully follow the steps and equations involved in solving the circuit and to check your work for any errors.