Finite sum formula for tangent (trigonometry)

by Vahsek
Tags: finite sum formula, tangent, trigonometry
Vahsek
Mar20-13, 01:28 AM
P: 81
Hi everyone, I've been looking for the finite sum formulae of trig functions. I've found the easiest ones (sine and cosine). But the one for the tangent seems to be very hard. No mathematical tricks work. Plus I've looked it up on the internet. Nothing. I will greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

tan x + tan (2x) + tan (3x) + ... + tan (nx) = ???
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
mathman
Mar20-13, 03:10 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,941
Quote Quote by Vahsek View Post
Hi everyone, I've been looking for the finite sum formulae of trig functions. I've found the easiest ones (sine and cosine). But the one for the tangent seems to be very hard. No mathematical tricks work. Plus I've looked it up on the internet. Nothing. I will greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

tan x + tan (2x) + tan (3x) + ... + tan (nx) = ???
My guess: You are out of luck. I checked Gradshteyn & Ryzhik. They have the sums for sin and cos, as well as sinh and cosh, but nothing for tan.
Vahsek
Mar20-13, 03:42 PM
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
My guess: You are out of luck. I checked Gradshteyn & Ryzhik. They have the sums for sin and cos, as well as sinh and cosh, but nothing for tan.
ok, thx for your consideration though. I'll wait a bit more; maybe someone's got a way to do it.

h6ss
Mar20-13, 08:07 PM
P: 40

Finite sum formula for tangent (trigonometry)

I found in a textbook that [itex]tan(x)[/itex] can be written as an indefinite sum:

[itex]\sum_x \tan ax = i x-\frac1a \psi _{e^{2 i a}}\left(x-\frac{\pi }{2 a}\right) + C \,,\,\,a\ne \frac{n\pi}2[/itex] where [itex]\psi_q(x)[/itex] is the q-digamma function.

Computing "sum k from 1 to n of tan(k*x)" in WolframAlpha results into something much more complicated, but an answer is given.
Vahsek
Mar20-13, 08:20 PM
Quote Quote by h6ss View Post
I found in a textbook that [itex]tan(x)[/itex] can be written as an indefinite sum:

[itex]\sum_x \tan ax = i x-\frac1a \psi _{e^{2 i a}}\left(x-\frac{\pi }{2 a}\right) + C \,,\,\,a\ne \frac{n\pi}2[/itex] where [itex]\psi_q(x)[/itex] is the q-digamma function.

Computing "sum k from 1 to n of tan(k*x)" in WolframAlpha results into something much more complicated, but an answer is given.
Wow. I had no idea it was that complicated. I'm in high school right now. These functions in real/complex analysis is way beyond me. Anyway, thank you everyone though. At least now I know which direction I must be heading to learn more about it.

Register to reply