How Fast Was the Bullet That Hit the Pendulum?

In summary, a 12.5 g bullet with a mass of 0.0125 kg was shot into a ballistic pendulum with a mass of 2.37 kg. After the collision, the pendulum rose a distance of 9.55 cm above its resting position. To calculate the speed of the bullet, conservation of energy is used, treating the problem as having two parts: the collision of the bullet and pendulum, and the subsequent swinging motion of the pendulum and bullet.
candycooke
A 12.5 g bullet is shot into a ballistic pendulum that has a mass of 2.37 kg. The pendulum rises a distance of 9.55 cm above its resting position. What was the speed of that bullet?
m(bullet) = 0.0125 kg
m(pendulum) = 2.37 kg
h = 0.0955 m

I know that I'm supposed to use conservation of energy:
P(i)=P(f)
m(1)v(i)=(m(1)+m(2))v(f)

Unfortunately this equation does not take into account how high the pendulum swung, which is obviously an important factor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat this problem as having two parts:
(1) The collision of bullet and pendulum. (What's conserved here?)
(2) The swinging of pendulum+bullet after the collision. (What's conserved here?)

To calculate the speed of the bullet, we need to use the conservation of momentum and energy equations together.

First, we can use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the initial momentum of the bullet (m(bullet)v(i)) is equal to the final momentum of the bullet and pendulum system (m(bullet)v(f) + m(pendulum)v(f)). This can be written as:

m(bullet)v(i) = (m(bullet) + m(pendulum))v(f)

We can also use the conservation of energy equation, which states that the initial kinetic energy of the bullet (1/2m(bullet)v(i)^2) is equal to the final kinetic energy of the bullet and pendulum system (1/2(m(bullet) + m(pendulum))v(f)^2) plus the potential energy gained by the pendulum (m(pendulum)gh). This can be written as:

1/2m(bullet)v(i)^2 = 1/2(m(bullet) + m(pendulum))v(f)^2 + m(pendulum)gh

Now, we can use algebra to solve for v(f) in both equations and set them equal to each other, since they are equal in both equations. This gives us:

m(bullet)v(i) = (m(bullet) + m(pendulum))v(f)
1/2m(bullet)v(i)^2 = 1/2(m(bullet) + m(pendulum))v(f)^2 + m(pendulum)gh

Solving for v(f) in the first equation gives us:

v(f) = m(bullet)v(i) / (m(bullet) + m(pendulum))

Substituting this into the second equation and solving for v(i) gives us:

v(i) = √(2gh(m(bullet) + m(pendulum)) / m(bullet))

Plugging in the given values, we get a speed of approximately 203 m/s for the bullet. So, the speed of the bullet in this scenario is 203 m/s.

What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a scientific apparatus used to measure the speed of a projectile. It consists of a pendulum with a mass attached to the end and a target at the other end.

How does a ballistic pendulum work?

When a projectile, such as a bullet, hits the target on the pendulum, it transfers its momentum to the pendulum and causes it to swing. The height of the pendulum's swing can be used to calculate the speed of the projectile.

What factors affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum can be affected by factors such as friction, air resistance, and the mass and shape of the projectile. These factors can cause the pendulum to swing differently than expected, resulting in less accurate measurements.

What is the equation for calculating the speed of a projectile using a ballistic pendulum?

The equation for calculating the speed of a projectile using a ballistic pendulum is: v = (m1 + m2) * √(2 * g * h) / m2, where v is the speed of the projectile, m1 is the mass of the pendulum, m2 is the mass of the projectile, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum's swing.

What are some real-life applications of ballistic pendulums?

Ballistic pendulums are commonly used in forensic science to determine the speed of a bullet fired from a gun. They are also used in physics experiments to study the laws of motion and conservation of energy.