How to Find the Resultant Velocity of a Plane with a Wind?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the resultant velocity of a plane flying north at 230 km/h and being carried east by a wind at 56 km/h. Using the equation Tan=opp/adj and solving for the angle, we get 13.7 degrees. However, the correct answer is 76.3 degrees, as the angle should be measured from the other side.
shizupple

Homework Statement

Kyle is flying a plane due north at 230 km/h as a wind carries it due east at 56 km/h. Find the magnitude and direction of the plane's resultant velocity analytically.
236.7 km/h (magnitude)
° (direction)

Homework Equations

Tan=opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be straightfoward but i guess not?
I tried:
tan^-1 (56/230)=13.7 degrees

Cant seem to figure out why this isn't working it should be straightfoward

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong. Why do you think it isn't working?

My webassign is marking it wrong... i don't see how it is wrong though??!

Nevermind I got it they wanted the angle from the other side (76.3). Thanks!

1. What is the "Planes Velocity Problem"?

The "Planes Velocity Problem" refers to a mathematical problem in which the velocities of two planes traveling in opposite directions are given, and the distance between them is known. The goal is to calculate the time it takes for the planes to pass each other.

2. How is the "Planes Velocity Problem" solved?

The "Planes Velocity Problem" can be solved using the formula d = rt, where d represents the distance between the planes, r represents the combined velocity of the two planes, and t represents the time it takes for the planes to pass each other. By plugging in the given values and solving for t, the problem can be solved.

3. What are some real-world applications of the "Planes Velocity Problem"?

The "Planes Velocity Problem" can be applied in various situations, such as air traffic control, flight planning, and calculating fuel consumption for airplanes. It can also be used in other scenarios involving the movement of two objects in opposite directions.

4. Are there any variations of the "Planes Velocity Problem"?

Yes, there are variations of the "Planes Velocity Problem" that involve different factors, such as wind speed and direction, changing velocities, and multiple planes traveling in different directions. These variations may require different formulas or approaches to solve.

5. What are some tips for solving the "Planes Velocity Problem"?

Some tips for solving the "Planes Velocity Problem" include carefully reading and understanding the given information, identifying the known and unknown values, and choosing the appropriate formula or approach based on the given scenario. It is also helpful to double-check the calculations and units to ensure accuracy.