Am I cut out to be an electrical engineer?

In summary, the individual is good at math and programming, but struggles with hands-on tasks. They have a passion for electrical engineering, but are unsure if they have the necessary skills. Suggestions are given to try out EE and participate in extracurricular activities to improve hands-on skills. Taking a circuits class is recommended, but it is noted that EE is a broad field and one can excel in certain areas despite struggling in others. Ultimately, it is advised to pursue what is enjoyable and to have confidence in one's abilities. The conversation also mentions that there are many different fields within EE.
mike12_3
I'm really good at math, but I'm horrible at hands-on stuff. I can't build things; for example, I couldn't even assemble my bed without help. I had no idea how to do it even with a manual. My dream is to go into EE but I don't know If I can do it. I know I can do CS, but I'd rather do EE.

Am I cut out to be an electrical engineer? And please be honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience, I found that a lot of hands-on experience is done outside of academics. I was like you in that I didn't even know what a bolt and nut was when I started bachelors for mechanical engineering.

You being good at math and programming will help you plenty with EE. In the end, most of the time you will be programming anyways depending on what jobs you end up with. Try it out, and on the side do some extra-curricular activities that gives you a chance to advance your hands-on skills, like joining a robotics club or starting a small hobby to work with electronics.

mike12_3 said:
I'm really good at math, but I'm horrible at hands-on stuff. I can't build things; for example, I couldn't even assemble my bed without help. I had no idea how to do it even with a manual. My dream is to go into EE but I don't know If I can do it. I know I can do CS, but I'd rather do EE.

Am I cut out to be an electrical engineer? And please be honest.

"Hands-on" stuff is a learned skill. If you've never done it before then it's clearly going to be new to you. Practice it like anything else.

Here's what I did. I bought a basic electronics book, which you can decide which one on your own, then bought some old electronics at a thrift store. Afters a couple months of playing around I started making my own little circuits and made a notebook of my observations. I felt like an experimental physicist, lots of fun. Who cares if you've always been bad at something, turn your weakness into a strength. Good luck.

DrummingAtom said:
"Hands-on" stuff is a learned skill. If you've never done it before then it's clearly going to be new to you. Practice it like anything else.

Here's what I did. I bought a basic electronics book, which you can decide which one on your own, then bought some old electronics at a thrift store. Afters a couple months of playing around I started making my own little circuits and made a notebook of my observations. I felt like an experimental physicist, lots of fun. Who cares if you've always been bad at something, turn your weakness into a strength. Good luck.

I understand that it's a learned skill, but I'm much, much worse than the average person.

Do you guys recommend I take a circuits class next semester? Will that tell me if I can do EE?

mike12_3 said:
I understand that it's a learned skill, but I'm much, much worse than the average person.

Oh, well if that's the case, disregard my last comment. Looks like there's no hope for you. Sorry.

Unless you think that you can understand integrals when you're 8 years old, I doubt that is the right way of looking at things. What is the definition of learning?

The rate you learn also increases as you learn. Keep that in mind.

Do you guys recommend I take a circuits class next semester? Will that tell me if I can do EE?

Take it. But it won't tell you if you can do EE. You can be crappy at circuits but a genius at signal processing, which requires a lot of advance math and good programming. EE is very broad (like ME).

astroperson99 said:
Unless you think that you can understand integrals when you're 8 years old, I doubt that is the right way of looking at things. What is the definition of learning?

The rate you learn also increases as you learn. Keep that in mind.

Take it. But it won't tell you if you can do EE. You can be crappy at circuits but a genius at signal processing, which requires a lot of advance math and good programming. EE is very broad (like ME).

Thanks!

How many different fields of EE are there?

You're very welcome. I'm not the best to advise on that subject. It's best you submit that question to academic guidance.

mike12_3 said:
My dream is to go into EE but I don't know If I can do it. I know I can do CS, but I'd rather do EE.

If your school allows you to switch after taking some classes, pick one and make sure you do well enough to switch if you have to. If you would rather do EE, do it...its fun!

Also, I think most people who think they have the skills needed for a particular major and have none for the other majors, before actually going to college are armed with a conviction and enthusiasm which let's them acquire those skills even if they don't actually have them on day one.

PS -- I think many theoretical computer scientists would scoff at the idea of actually assembling a bed, short of computing the complexity. Haha, just kidding of course ;-)

mike12_3 said:
Thanks!

How many different fields of EE are there?

Depends on who you ask. A lot.

1. What skills do I need to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, you will need a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as technical skills in circuit design, programming, and problem-solving. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for success in this field.

2. What is the typical educational path for becoming an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, you will need at least a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a Master's degree or even a Ph.D. in electrical engineering. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs during your education.

3. What types of jobs can I get as an electrical engineer?

Electrical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including power generation and distribution, telecommunications, electronics, and manufacturing. Some common job titles for electrical engineers include design engineer, systems engineer, project manager, and research and development engineer.

4. What is the job outlook for electrical engineers?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for electrical engineers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the increasing demand for new technologies and innovations in areas such as renewable energy, robotics, and wireless communication.

5. What are some challenges I may face as an electrical engineer?

As an electrical engineer, you may face challenges such as tight deadlines, complex problem-solving, and working with cutting-edge technology that requires continuous learning and adaptation. Additionally, the field of electrical engineering is constantly evolving, so staying up-to-date with advancements and new technologies is essential for success.