Solving Trig Equations: Finding Equilibrium & Period

In summary, Trig functions can be used to find the equilibrium position, amplitude, and maximum and minimum values of y.
cscott
Trig Functions

[tex]2y - 5 = \sin(144t - 45)[/tex]

How can I find when the object is at equilibrum? I know it's when y = 0, but how do I solve from there? I tried arcsine but it gives me a domain error.

How can I find the minimum in between [itex]0 \le t \le 10[/tex]?

Is the period of oscillation 0.625 degrees?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think equilibrium is when y = 0? The midpoint of the motion will be when sin() = 0.

Doc Al said:
What makes you think equilibrium is when y = 0? The midpoint of the motion will be when sin() = 0.

Also, if you solve explicitly for y, you'll see that there is a vertical shift, meaning that the y-axis is not the midpoint of this graph. Use Doc Al's advice.

As for the period, I didn't check your numbers, but remember in a sine graph in the form of [tex]a \sin{(bx+c)}+d[/tex] that [tex]\frac{2\pi}{|b|}[/tex] is equal to the period. That's in radians of course.

Alright, I revised my answers given the replies so far. I think the period is 2.5 degrees, maximum height (the question is about a spring oscillating) is 7.5m and the first equilibrum is at t = 0.3125. Can anyone tell me if I'm correct?

I'm still having trouble with the minimum in between [itex]0 \le t \le 10[/tex]?

Last edited:
The period should be in seconds, not degrees. (144 is in what units?) Rewrite your expression like this:
[tex]y = 2.5 + 0.5 \sin(144t - 45)[/tex]

If you understand what this says, you should be able "read off" the equilibrium position, the amplitude, and the maximum and minimum values of y.

Doc Al said:
The period should be in seconds, not degrees. (144 is in what units?) Rewrite your expression like this:
[tex]y = 2.5 + 0.5 \sin(144t - 45)[/tex]

If you understand what this says, you should be able "read off" the equilibrium position, the amplitude, and the maximum and minimum values of y.

Sorry, I meant at what times is the function at it's minimum between 0 <= t <= 10

As for the period, is it correct to say 2.5s instead of 2.5 degrees? I used what Jameson gave me: 360/|b| = T

I made the mistake of thinking the amplitude was 5 (no idea where I got that number, I've been juggling questions all night ;)... I see the max height should 3m, correct (assuming it's m vs t)?

cscott said:
Sorry, I meant at what times is the function at it's minimum between 0 <= t <= 10
y will be a minimum wherever sin() is at its minimum, which is when sin() = -1.

As for the period, is it correct to say 2.5s instead of 2.5 degrees? I used what Jameson gave me: 360/|b| = T
If the 144 is degrees/sec, then 2.5s is correct.

I made the mistake of thinking the amplitude was 5 (no idea where I got that number, I've been juggling questions all night ;)... I see the max height should 3m, correct (assuming it's m vs t)?
Right. Since the sin function oscillates between -1 and +1, y will oscillate between 2 and 3.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Solving Trig Equations: Finding Equilibrium & Period

1. How do I solve a trig equation?

To solve a trig equation, you need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation and all other terms on the other side. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, to find the solutions. Remember to check for extraneous solutions and use the unit circle to find reference angles.

2. What is equilibrium in trigonometry?

In trigonometry, equilibrium refers to the point at which a trigonometric function repeats itself. For example, the sine function has an equilibrium every 360 degrees, while the cosine function has an equilibrium every 180 degrees.

3. How do I find the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the distance between two consecutive equilibriums. To find the period, you can divide 360 degrees by the frequency of the function, which is the number in front of the variable. For example, the period of y = 2sin(3x) is 360/3 = 120 degrees.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trig equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trig equations. Most scientific calculators have built-in functions for inverse trigonometric functions, making it easier to find the solutions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving trig equations by hand.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving trig equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trig equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not using the correct inverse trigonometric function, and not using the unit circle to find reference angles. It is also important to pay attention to the domain of the function and make sure to include all possible solutions within that domain.