Where Can I Find Rigorous Developments of the Path Integral Formulation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for rigorous developments of the path integral formulation in quantum field theory. The speaker is interested in the formalities and intermediate steps involved in the arguments often used to justify the final result. They mention that the treatment in "An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory"-Schroeder & Peskin is comprehensive and recommend reading books by Sakurai, Greiner & Reinhardt, Hatfield, and Schulman for further understanding.
ghotra
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can point me to "rigorous" developments of the path integral formulation. I've mostly seen arguments based on chopping up a line into a discrete set of points and then taking the limit as the number of points goes to infinity and integrating over all possible values of the infinite number of points.

I am convinced by these arguments, but I am interested in some of the formalities...particularly some of the intermediate steps. It seems like quite a big jump to the final result, and and I am interested in some of the justifications. Surely this must have been done rigorously at some point...though it doesn't seem that many QFT books describe the details (with good reason).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought the treatment of the path integral in "An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory"-Schroeder & Peskin was great and pretty comprehensive. They give the one dimensional classical derivation and then extend that to general quantum mechanical systems with higher degrees of freedom. The explanations you've had, did they involve discussions of classical paths, least action etc.?
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9302097"

Last edited by a moderator:
The development by Dirac and Feynman built on work already performed in mathematics.

ghotra said:
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can point me to "rigorous" developments of the path integral formulation. I've mostly seen arguments based on chopping up a line into a discrete set of points and then taking the limit as the number of points goes to infinity and integrating over all possible values of the infinite number of points.
I am convinced by these arguments, but I am interested in some of the formalities...particularly some of the intermediate steps. It seems like quite a big jump to the final result, and and I am interested in some of the justifications. Surely this must have been done rigorously at some point...though it doesn't seem that many QFT books describe the details (with good reason).
Thanks.
Start by reading Ch2 of J. Sakurai's book; Modern Quantum Mechanics.(my rating;*****)
Next read Ch11 & Ch12 of the book; Field Quantization, by Greiner & Reinhardt.(rating****)
Then Ch12,Ch13 & Ch14 of B. Hatfield's book; Quantum Field Theory Of Point Particles And Strings.(rating******)
After reading the above, Now go and read L.S.Schulman's book;
Techniques and Applications of Path Integration

(rating***************************)

regards

sam

What is Path Integral Development?

Path Integral Development is a mathematical technique used in physics to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a physical system. It was developed by Richard Feynman and is based on the principle of quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can have many possible paths or histories, and the probability of a particular outcome is determined by the sum of all these paths.

How does Path Integral Development work?

Path Integral Development involves breaking down a complex physical system into smaller, simpler parts and calculating the probability of each part. These probabilities are then combined together to determine the probability of the entire system. This is done by integrating over all possible paths or histories of the system, taking into account the influence of all the particles and forces involved.

What are the applications of Path Integral Development?

Path Integral Development is used in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum field theory. It has been used to calculate the behavior of particles in quantum systems, the properties of materials at the atomic level, and the evolution of the universe in cosmology. It also has applications in chemistry, biology, and finance.

What are the advantages of using Path Integral Development?

Path Integral Development provides a powerful and elegant way of solving complex problems in physics. It allows for the calculation of probabilities in systems with many particles and interactions, which would be extremely difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also provides a clear and intuitive interpretation of quantum mechanics, making it easier to understand and apply in practical situations.

What are the limitations of Path Integral Development?

While Path Integral Development is a versatile and powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to systems that can be described by quantum mechanics, and it is not always possible to integrate over all possible paths analytically. In some cases, numerical methods must be used, which can be computationally intensive. Additionally, the interpretation of the results obtained from Path Integral Development can be challenging, and it may not always provide a complete understanding of a physical system.